OT -- Research debunks health value of guzzling water

Research debunks health value of guzzling water

http://tinyurl.com/24sha2

Wed Apr 2, 2008 6:32pm EDT

By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The notion that guzzling glasses of water to flood yourself with good health is all wet, researchers said on Wednesday.

Dr. Stanley Goldfarb and Dr. Dan Negoianu of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia reviewed the scientific literature on the health effects of drinking lots of water.

People in hot, dry climates and athletes have an increased need for water, and people with certain diseases do better with increased fluid intake, they found. But for average healthy people, more water does not seem to mean better health, they said.

As far as facilitating toxin excretion, Goldfarb said that was not verified by any sort of scientific study.

[excerpted]

The typical advice they refer to is that of drinking eight glasses of eight ounces of water each day. This advice is fairly prevalent, and has also been the subject of several rebuttals recently. It turns out there's no evidence that a normal person needs to, or benefits from, drinking that much water.

fgoodwin,

the greeks (not geeks) were right..."All things in moderation"!

I personally never thought guzzling was appropriate for water! Branch water should be slowly sipped, after carefully purifying with quality Kentucky Bourbon (can't have anyone getting a dose of guardia, now can we).

anarchist

Just saw this thread - I'm w/you on this one, GW. Although I do note that the authors of the study provided this caveat, "a little dehydration and a little over-hydration are not a problem, it's the extremes one has to avoid." Not to mention that an 85 pound scout drinking eight eight ounce glasses of water is silly.

But it just seems to me to be common sense that non-caffeinated liquid/water would help with toxin excretion since movement through kidneys = toxin excretion. But I'm not a medical professional, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently.

I think our troop leadership will still want to see water bottles whose liquid content goes down regularly - and when a scout comes to me at summer camp with a headache, I'm still going to ask him how much liquid he's had to drink...oops, would that be common sense rearing its head again?

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Well, no, I can't say I have.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Do I look all rancid and clotted? You look at me, Jack. Eh? Look, eh? And I drink a lot of water, you know. I'm what you might call a water man, Jack - that's what I am. And I can swear to you, my boy, swear to you, that there's nothing wrong with my bodily fluids. Not a thing, Jackie.