Fellow Forum Members.

I do think if we want to discuss other parts of the Scout Oath and Law, the right thing to do would be to spin off and start and new thread.

As for the personal attacks?

Maybe a thread on a Scout is kind?

Eamonn.

If I have offended anyone, I apologize.

Back to the thread,

Physical cleanliness is important but I'm not going to be wearing anyone out about handwashing unless they are cooking or leaving a "biffy".

I'm not going to discuss the merits of showers with anyone who doesn't stink, unless they are obviously avoiding the showers at camp. Or are an adult who is sharing my tent - one of us is going to shower or move.

But, I do think that the merits of a clean, for lack of a universally agreeable construct..., "soul" is part of what we are discussing when we say that a Scout is clean in their personal habits. It isn't just brushing your teeth and washing you hands.

Terms like "clean", "morally straight" are nice terms to use but mean different things to different people.

What if the national council interpreted the Scout Law such that if anyone ate pork, an unclean animal in the eyes of many individuals based on their religious beliefs, that a Scout was not clean, didn't live up to the Scout Oath, and therefore would not be allowed membership in a private organization such as the BSA (of course the BSA would not go on a witch hunt to try and find those that ate pork but if someone actually flaunted the fact and ate bacon if full public view, well ...)?

Now take the term morally straight. I think that Scouts should try and live their lives in a morally straight manner in accordance to their environment (parents, religious affiliation, etc.). What I don't agree with is the interpretation that morally straight has any related meeting with the sexual vernacular term of sexually straight (i.e. not gay).

Now, for the uniform ...

The uniform "requirements" and I put them in italics because I know that is a misnomer considering the fact that uniforms are not required, are not as ambiguous. For the Boy Scouts it says not to wear the OA sash on one's belt. So, no real iterpretation - it is wrong (or incorrect if one likes that term better) to do wear it in that fashion. It is incorrect to state that in Cub Scouts, uniform pants are not needed. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Be careful of those Maynard G. Krebs references or the next time you ask your scout to take out the trash youll get this high-pitched shout work!

EBay has some dealer designation called Square-Trade which is supposed to give you a feeling of confidence when dealing with someone who has that designation.

Someone who is square, daddio, basically means that person is honest, trustworthy, a straight shooter.

YIS

Mike