A pet peeve of mine (one of the many I have) is when leaders tell a scout that he should not have dirty hands or clothes because the Scout Law says so.

That is not how I understand that part of the scout law.

It is

A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.

When I see the word body in the above I think of in shape, eating correctly, not doing drugs, etc. A Scout is clean in thought word and deeds.

I concur with the intent you seem to be stating.

However, to stay dirty when the availability of being clean is there seems antithetical to me. It's not as healthy to be dirty when you can be clean.

Now I've also been out where I hadn't had anything more than a handi-wipe bath for more than three weeks, So, it's not just cleanliness of the body for cleanlinesses sake. But boy, was I rotten when I got out of the fjords on the trip I'm thinking of.

I have lost count of the times that as OJ was growing up Her Who Must Be Obeyed said "Boys are washable!"

Because kids are kids they are supposed to get dirty.

Some dirt might even be healthy for a kid!!

But hand washing is so very important that we do need to stress it and ensure that Scouts do wash their hands before handling food and after using the rest room.

The part of the Scout Law that deals with being clean is open to all sorts of interpretations.

Sometimes I worry that we the adults do tend to "Over-load" the meanings of the Scout Law.

I find that looking back to what I did and what I got up to as a kid does at times help prevent me from becoming a sanctimonious old poop!

There is a time and a place to be washed, neat and tidy and there are times when being washed neat and tidy just isn't that important.

As an organization that tries to teach ethical choices, having Scouts know when it's important and when it's not is the big thing.

Eamonn.

Dan,

I'm with you.

I think I'd be more concerned if I never saw a scout getting a little dirt on their hands or clothes. Scouting is a thing of the outdoors and adventure (and service). Getting dirty is a byproduct of those activities.

The main thing is to clean up when it time to move on to other activities.

My thoughts,

Steve

Acco40,

It's funny how you are contemplating morally straight- yet you are so by the numbers on uniforming practices of scouting. I think you ought to get your head around morally straight before you go telling people that they ought not call themselves BSA if they aren't wearing their uniforms right. What are more important- an untucked mensch, or a spit and polished sadist?

What part of morally straight do you and scoutmomma find so perplexing anyways? Stealing? Lying? Cruelty? Perversion? The Ten Commandments? The Beatitudes?

Please let me know why this part of the scout law elicits cryptic snickers from your peanut gallery but you wax prosaic about the uniform code of BSA?

Pappy

How in the wide world of sports did this turn into this?

I thought this would be a fun thread with no right or wrong answers, silly me.

staplerman I am blaming you. :)

but I do agree with you that morally straight is probably the most complex one!

Forgive my perceived harshness- I must be one of those cyber-socio-paths who can't read computer human facial gesture icons.

Acco40- I will assume your intentions were good - even if your use of smiley faces is selective.

I still think morals aren't so complex when it comes to kids. Golden rule- adherence to the scout laws.

Pappy