Boy Scout license plates available in South Carolina

Four new license plates available in SC

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/15544102.html

Posted: 11:35 AM Feb 12, 2008

Reporter: Tom Campbell

COLUMBIA, S.C.---The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles is offering four new specialty license plates.

The Boy Scouts of America, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., and the Surfrider Foundation plates are now available at DMV offices across the state.

You can check with the South Carolina DMV for more information.

[excerpted]

I guess SC is hard up for roads or something that they have so many 'vanity' plates for sale. Here's what I just found, Holy Toledo there are a lot of them!:

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/plategallery.aspx?q=All

But here's the letter for the BSA plate:

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/pr2-12-08.pdf

As the state is turning some of the proceeds over to BSA, I wonder if this is legal? Does SC do anything similar for other religious or discriminatory organizations? When I read the letters for the others so far, the proceeds seem to go to non-discriminatory outlets. I could be wrong.

Ohio had plates for both Boy Scouts and Eagle Scouts. I just got the notice that my Boy Scout plates will no longer continue in the program, as they have not met the minimum demand. My 2 sons' Eagle plates have not been pulled yet.

Man, I gotta get to Oklahoma and start tailgating some folks to find EagleDad!

Mark

"As the state is turning some of the proceeds over to BSA, I wonder if this is legal? Does SC do anything similar for other religious or discriminatory organizations? When I read the letters for the others so far, the proceeds seem to go to non-discriminatory outlets. I could be wrong."

They have a plate for Masons. Masons don't admit women or atheists. They have a plate for Camp Sertoma, which is a private membership group. Lions Club. Rotary Club. Secular Humanists. Shriners. Sons of Confederate Veterans.

BTW, many other states have Boy Scout (and Girl Scout) license plates.

"They have a plate for Masons. Masons don't admit women or atheists. They have a plate for Camp Sertoma, which is a private membership group. Lions Club. Rotary Club. Secular Humanists. Shriners. Sons of Confederate Veterans."

True, but if you read the documents establishing those, the funds are used for non-discriminatory charitable purposes, not to support the organizations, at least that's what they claim - I could be wrong.

For example, "As a non-profit organization, the Secular Humanists of the Low Country do not receive any portion of the funds generated from the license plate sales."

I don't see anything at all describing how the BSA funds will be used. Aren't you interested?