Learning from the Past (and others)

Yah, so, the previous thread got hijacked because of the way I set it up, and other things ;).

So, let's try again:

Use this thread to share tidbits you have learned by lookin' at past program materials or other scouting/youth program materials - ideas that have enhanced or improved upon your scouts' experience.

Those ideas can be from anywhere, eh? And we all recognize that they are not part of current program materials, so that's not goin' to be an issue for discussion.

I have dug out some old MB books and the boys have played around with them. Signalling is a popular one. They have patrol flags they can use for signal flags, there are some nice Morse Code programs on the computer that can generate messages for the boys to "read" and I bought the double signal-key set that seems to go well on outings. I would suggest if one does allow this, they know code so they know what's going on with the boys. :^)

We use the reprint of the 1911 Handbook for Boys and dig out ideas for tentage, walking sticks, etc. The boys thought it might be a fun thing to go camping 1920's style. I don't know exactly what that means, but I'm sure they'll tell me when they get it organized.

The old handbooks offer a slice of life from prior years of scouting and seem to draw some interest.

Boys that wish to really camp cook are given the option.

Knot tying requirements have backed off over the years. Being able to tie the Turk's Head is a lot of fun. Whenever a boy loses his slide, it's no big deal, he just ties another.

Stosh

Bein' with European scoutin' friends and other scouting groups from places around the world has added a lot of perspective for me.

One very common notion is the "Group" - one scouting unit for everyone from 'micro' scouts on up to Rovers and Adult leaders. It has a nice feel to it, and I'm a better advocate for CO's doing more tightly integrated programs because of it.

The other of course is seeing scouts run with a lot less adult direction and a lot more youth freedom... and no medical forms, permission slips, liability waivers, highly-specified safety regulations and the like. It always impresses me how much less "wimpy" (whiny?) and how much more self-directed many of our brother and sister scouts are around the world. They remind me of what is possible when we do scouting well, and focus on the youth.