Be careful what you wish for-new Scouts joining our Troop

LisaBob: For the past two years our Troop has offered to have joint campouts with this struggling Troop. SM always said the boys weren't interested. In our talk the other night, Mom said they'd never heard about our offer. So, I offered again as they move forward.

During our conversation, I also mentioned that I would be happy to come and help conduct Troop JLT (or whatever it's called now) for their Scouts. They've never had that before - ever - none of the guys has ever been to Council JLT/NYLT either. Offered to get together with their leaders, parents, Scouts, whomever, and show them the plans our Troop has made this past year to help give them something to go by. Offered to have their PLC (at such time as they form one) come to a couple of our PLC meetings to get a handle on how that works.

New SM asked about training and I let her know all the dates coming up, the online training available, that she should start attending roundtable every month, get her hands on a SM handbook and start reading, read the Boy Scout handbook too. Our District is pretty bad with Unit Commissioners, but I certainly hope someone will be assigned to them. We just had one assigned to our Troop and he's wonderful. Maybe he'd consider taking them on too.

Den Chiefs - funny you mention that John. One thing I had considered if these guys were transferring to us was to put a couple of them in Packs as Den Chiefs. Other than our two Scouts who served as Den Chiefs last year, there are none in our District. It is a POR I fully support. Unfortunately other SMs in our District don't feel the same way. Almost all of our Troops and Packs meet on Monday nights so the SMs don't want their guys gone during Troop meetings while they serve in a Den meeting. Very sad because it is a marvelous program and opportunity for both the Troops and Packs. I will most certainly mention it to the struggling Troop since they have not had any recruiting for several years. Their CO has both the Troop and a Pack. The Pack is having troubles, too.

Just a mere three years ago I never thought I'd be in a position to offer advice and assistance to another Troop. Time to give back for all the helped I've received over the years.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic