Do you want me to do anything?

". He (the SPL) will then invite a uniformed adult leader from the troop or a visiting Scouter to inspect the patrols along with the PL and the SPL."

Have to say this is one of my many!! Pet Peeves.

Over the years I have been invited to a lot of Scouting functions. Yes I have ate a ton of chicken!!

When I get an invite. I do RSVP. If the invite only names me. I tell whoever sent it if I'm going to attend or not or if it is a family invite I let them know how many of us will be there.

As a rule I ask "Do you want me to do anything?".

My reason for this is that I hate being called upon to get up and give some kind of speech or pass on some words of wisdom if I haven't prepared something.

I kinda think if I were invited to do a uniform inspection at a COH, I would find a polite way to get out of it!!

Asking a visiting Scouter to jump up and do this just seems unfair to the Scouter and very much like window dressing.

Maybe this is just me?

But thanks, but no thanks.

Eamonn.

RememberSchiff,

Welcome!!

Take my word for it, I'd much rather sing than in any way get involved with a last minute uniform inspection at a COH!!

Knowing my luck, I'd be wearing the uniform with the upside down knot on it and one of the ASM's would be a narc for the Under the Covers uniform police.

This would cause an international incident.

I'd be deported.

Rory would have to be quarantined for six months before he'd be allowed into the UK.

Her Who Must Be Obeyed would get used to sleeping in the middle of the bed.

OJ, would take custody of all the family cars, at least till the insurance ran out.

I'd run for Parliament, become the next Labour Party Prime Minister.

Rumors would be rampant that I was having an affair with the President of the USA.

Her Who Must Be Obeyed would take me to the cleaners! I'd be broke, out of office and unable to buy dog food to feed Rory.

But then I'd write a book which would become one of Oprah's Book of the month. The movie with Tom Hanks would make me a fortune and I'd be invited to a BSA function where without notice someone would ask me if I'd do a uniform inspection!!

NO!!

Please no.

Eamonn.

LOL, Eamonn, you're killin me...

I was asked to do this at a pack meeting. I was visiting as an FOS presenter, along with another SM from a troop taking some boys. Very awkward to say the least. I was in what I would consider a very full uniform, but what my troop considers proper uniforming and what the other SM's troop does has nothing to do with what the CM and his pack consider full or proper uniform.

That was the only time it happened and I hope it doesn't happen again.

I once attended a Pack meeting for a totally different reason (okay, I was asked to come and talk about camping programs), but when I finished, I found myself WANTING to compliment the boys on being so well uniformed, which mostly they were. But I gave a SHORT talk (with the CM permission) about the use of the uniform as a way to show folks where one had been, what one had accomplished, that once you knew the "code", you could "read" the uniform and know alot about the Scout. I spoke about the pride of being a Scout. Would they wear the uni to school?

I didn't chastize anyone for lack of correctness nor single out anyone for being well dressed. But I pointed to EVERYONE as I spoke, and included everyone in my comments. Made it a point to compliment the PARENTS for being so attentive to their boys appearance.

The CM told me later that he had some parents come to him later to ask about uni issues. A first. He thanked me, an ousider, for stirring the pot alittle, as he put it.

Follow as the spirit leads...

YiS