Are you really limited to a choice between two troops? There may be a third option: start your own troop.

Here are some resources for starting a new unit:

(1) "New Unit Organization Process" (34196A):

http://tinyurl.com/br9le

http://www.scouting.org/relationships/34196/index.html

(2) "William D. Boyce New Unit Organizer Award" (04-515):

http://tinyurl.com/3avod8

Yes, there's a knot for organizing new units, but the form is more than an application -- it includes very useful information re: how to organize a new unit.

(3) "New Unit Organization Kit" (13-563) s/b available at your Scout Office (I haven't been able to find a copy online)

You'd have to find a willing charter sponsor, and be sure you have enough boys & parents willing to step up. It will be tough to start a new unit, but having started a Cub Pack, I know how rewarding it can be.

If that's a viable option, be sure to work with your DE and District membership committee, and try to get an experienced UC assigned to help you along.

Good luck

Thanks to all who have replied.

We're going to visit several more meetings/outings as a den before parents and Webelos visit on their own, so the issue isn't over by any means.

My son has declared in no uncertain terms that he wants to join Troop #1. (I've been careful not to speak of my concerns around him or the other boys because their impressions are worth more without my biases).

I think ultimately that both troops can change over time, so in the long term my concerns may be addressed, whether or not I'm there. In the meantime, we'll work with what we have.

I do think that I'll talk to the parents about the strong and weak points of each troop after soliciting their observations. I hope they will make a decision with their sons about what's right for them, and don't just follow my son and me blindly.

Special thanks to Beavah for reminding me that it's really all about the positives, and for fgoodwin's suggestion of option #3. Our sparsley populated neck of the woods is, unfortunately, too small to support another troop without severly damaging the existing programs. If that were to happen, all the boys would lose out.

I'm sure I'll have a chance to share some new boy scout adventures soon enough.

• 7 months later...

I thought I'd resurrect this old thread for a progress report.

In the end, my Webelos den split half and half between Troop 1 and Troop 2. My son wanted to join Troop 1 and said so in no uncertain terms.

He just got back from summer camp and had a great time. He was placed in the first year camper program, which he enjoyed. He made several friends outside his Troop (always a good sign) and had a chance to challenge himself with some new activities. Rappelling was his favorite.

The bullying problem seems to have corrected itself somewhat. The new scouts are all 11, but are big enough to take care of themselves and won't put up with bullying. Apparently the offending parties took notice and quit acting up.

Troop 1 is still adult led, with the SPL serving only as the ceremonial head at meetings and the like.

On the other hand, my son's New Scout Patrol is unhappy with their appointed PL and are just short of electing a new leader on their own. I'm not sure the PL had much of a chance since he hasn't been shown what's expected of a PL. Some of the other new boys seem to see the big picture already and are trying to make a change. I think this bodes well for the long term.

Of my own crossovers, attrition has claimed two - one because of family issues, and another who didn't find scouting a good fit. If I were a betting man, I'd say one more is likely to drop out due to lack of interest.

Troop 2 did not go to summer camp this year, but took a cross-country tour to see some midwestern landmarks. By all accounts it sounds like they had an excellent trip.

Troop 2 has had the new scouts backpacking at least once. I've been too busy to keep up with their other activities.

Of my crossovers, all are still in scouting, with varying degrees of participation. Only one was able to make the summer trip, and it sounds like he had a great time. A couple of others would have gone but for schedule conflicts that couldn't be worked out.

Overall I think the boys naturally sorted themselves out where they fit the best, though I think a couple would have been happy in either troop.

Thanks to all who gave advice before. I led the boys through Cubs and it was time to turn them loose. Time will tell who will stay in. Most importantly to me, my son loves Scouting and is having a great time.