This past weekend, I took a group of scouts backpacking into this wilderness. We hiked in Saturday afternoon about 3 miles and setup camp at 10,300 ft for a summit attempt on Holy Cross on Sunday morning. While setting up camp, a fellow comes by asking if we had seen his brother. They had summited that morning and he was certain his brother was ahead of him. We hadn''t seen him. That night, it snowed about 8 inches and we aborted our summit attempt and just broke camp and hiked out. On the trail out, we passed three search and rescue fellows. They told us the brother was still missing and asked if we had seen or heard anything. Of course we had not. We asked if we could help, they told us it would be best if there were fewer people up there in the snowstorm and just hike out. They thanked us and told us if we saw him to call 911. We got back to the trailhead packed our stuff and drove home. The boys started taking about the buddy system. I suggested they do a recap at the next meeting for the rest of the troop.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5723042,00.html

Rescuers search for missing Missouri climber near Vail

By Associated Press

October 15, 2007

VAIL The Vail Mountain Rescue group today will resume its search for a 23-year old Missouri man last seen in the Holy Cross wilderness Saturday.

His name and hometown haven''t been released.

Eagle County sheriff''s officials say the man''s 24-year old brother reported him missing around 7 p.m. Saturday after he failed to report to his campsite that afternoon.

The brothers had climbed to the summit of the Mount of Holy Cross together but were separated on their way down at around 13,000 feet.

The missing hiker had a fleece, a rain jacket, water and an energy bar, but was not prepared to camp. It snowed heavily overnight.

FOUND HIM!

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5723042,00.html

To tell you the truth, I really had a bad feeling about this one. We were camping in the same area the same night this guy was out on his own. Not a night I''d like to spend outside my tent in only blue jeans, tennis shoes and a rain jacket. Glad he made it out.

Two years ago, a woman got lost decending this mountain, she was never found.

Follow-up article:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5724633,00.html

Notice the part 1/2 way down - he called rescuers, they told him to stay put (Sunday afternoon) and they''ll pick him up tomorrow.

He ignores their advice, and ends up spending another night in the wilderness - this time with no fire. Perhaps he was disoriented from hunger at this point - or just tired of waiting and thought he knew his way out. But if I had reliable contact with my rescuers, I don''t think I''d be starting a game of hide-and-seek the next day.

Also notice the last line - he''s swearing off cotton altogether. How did we ever survive in the woods before the ''90s?

--Gags