I''m guessing you already have this suggestion in the back of your mind...but here goes.

We frequently take young (new) scouts on our Twenty mile hikes. But we alway plan escape routes (just like our bike hikes) where we can "evacuate" a scout at reasonable intervals. Even living in the sticks and hiking the AT we have ways to pull boys off the trail if need be.

In almost all cases we let the younger scouts know that there will be parents and refreshments at say "five miles", "ten miles",and so on. In fact in most cases we announce the longer day hikes as having segments for whatever portion of the merit badges they need...It allows each boy (or patrol) to plan and challenge himself as he sees fit.

Very few new scouts have the mental desire to walk 20 miles and by making it "reasonable" and without negative connotations (i.e.,"Johnie dropped out")you give them a chance to "try" hiking without the major fear of failure. New scouts can build themselves up- five , ten then twenty miles. And like backpacking, we spend time in troop and patrol meetings working on prep for these trips. Nothing turns a new scout off faster than un-necessary pain and failure...teach, condition, train... then execute...the outcome will be better for all!

good luck

Anarchist

Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in one day following a hike plan you have prepared.

"It really does depend upon the kid doing the hiking, but remember that they are carrying their own water and ten essentials which can get very heavy about mile 8." -Auquila

Aquila - please let me know where you found the above requirement.

In an earlier post I used the term "urban hike" - please don't translate this to walking on concrete or asphalt. We have many trails that meander through urban/surburban areas. So, you may be walking on a well established trail but not concrete. Some are converted railways and others more like a bike path of crushed pea gravel or just plain dirt.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

To what are you referring? The merit badge guide has a section on urban hikes which refers to hiking in the city. It doesn''t HAVE to be in the city. We''re trying to give ours a variety of situations.

Or did you mean the water and 10 essentials? I don''t think there is any specifically stated requirement about carrying water, but a lot of trails don''t have water sources. Mine carry what they choose to - and they''ve learned to choose very wisely. We don''t share unless there''s a medical emergency. We''re training them to be self-sufficient.

Found the book... here''s a snippet (fair use):

(p35)

"HIKING GEAR

Take the Outdoor Essentials with you on every outdoor adventure. The items on the list may help you avoid emergencies, and they can make a pleasant hike even better.

The Outdoor Essentials

* pocketknife

* first aid kit

* extra clothing

* rain gear

* water bottle

* flashlight

* trail food

* matches and fire starters

* sun protection

* map and compass

At least one person in each hiking group should carry a watch so that you can pace your travels, stick to your trip pplan, and return home when you are expected."

Is that what you were looking for?

I am currently working with 5 boys from 12-16 on thier hicking merit badge. On the first 10 miler all showed up, on the second we had 3, and they have not expressed intrest in doing more at this time. I believe the scouts should decide, that''s what boy led is all about. Unfortunatley, I should have steped in sooner being I knew the terrain was very hilly, but they insisted on going. So be carefull I believe I can get everyone back up this fall being it''s cooling down but I will strongly recomend an easier terrain for the next 2 at least.

YIS

Doug