Cell Phones and Scouting

Not a bad approach there dScouter15. I like the "respect" approach. My only "rule based" thought while reading your post was that if the phone is not either turned off or set to a silent ring during almost all activities, that kid is immediately not showing respect.

It''s amazing how technologically literate the owners of these devices can be but still be unable to find the Off or Silent settings on their phones.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

over here, SMs and ASMs carry cell phones for emergency use. So they are rarely ever used.

Last time, a guest SM received a work-related call and the whole gang jeered as he hurried out of sight with his cell phone at his ear.

I think it is mainly a matter of how the example is being set to the kids by the SMs and ASMs.

Part of the development of character and personality is also how to handle the situation of being away from mum for a couple of days without calling her every morning and evening.

But, I agree, if the boys use their mobiles to play games in camp, it might be worth to check the program.

best regards,

Volker