Ham Roasted in a Watermelon

ROFL .... this was just a weird example and now it has its own thread .... rofl more ...

Basically you hollow out any kind of thick skin melon, put a ham inside of it, and slowly roast it....

My dad came up with the idea years ago, as a half joke, half serious idea, but never tried it. Now of course like most such ideas, I am sure others have thought of it too....

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Most cured hams are "pre-cooked", meaning heat and serve. The watermelon would provide a novel way of heating the ham directly on the coals while not drying it out or burning it. Sounds cool!

I also like to wow the Tenderfeet by boiling water (or poaching an egg or cooking a sausage ball) in an orange peel...directly on the fire.

I wonder what burned watermelon rind smells like.... There used to be a country song about Watermelon Wine. You might end up with some of that as well. :-)

Re: boiling water in a paper cup - the burning temperature of paper is 450 degrees F. and the boiling point of water is 212 degrees F. Do the math. :-)