hypothetical question... One full time paid adult leader per unit ...

I would like to pose a hypothetical question...

Lets say BSA or maybe a private company provided the funding to pay one Adult in every Scout Pack, Troop, Crew, etc a full time wage. (This is not like the part time Scout Reach for poor, or troubled areas)... What position would be paid (IE: Scoutmaster, Committee Chair, or maybe a new combined or totally new position)? What would the duties of that position be?

My answer would be a new position of sorts that would be a combination between mostly the SM and Committee Chair.

Duties would be on the lines of:

- Actively work to recruit new Scouts, families and leaders

- Actively set up fund raising opportunities

- Over see the Troop Committee and The overall Unit Program

- Arrange to obtain the necessarily awards and turn in assorted paperwork to Council

- Work with volunteers to ensure they are trained in their positions and help them as much as possible to make their jobs smooth (not necessarily easy, but easy and organized as possible to perform)

- Attend monthly Roundtables and stay in contact with the Unit Commissioner

- Stay on top of and keep the committee informed of upcoming events, things going on at the Schools the unit services (where the kids attend), the location where the unit meets, with their sponsor organization, etc.

Ok that is enough to give you all an idea of what the question means... I do not mean this as a debate, but more just a fun question... after all how many leaders do I hear mumble they wish they could do Scouting full time...

We all know its one hour a week ... per scout... right?

As always my wacky 2 cents .... take it or leave it :p

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

If BSA gave my unit a full time paid employee, I think it would be best to have that employee be administrative. We would task him/her with record keeping, scheduling, reservations, permit filing, advancement tracking, membership bookkeeping, communications, newsletter editing. I'd leave program, recruitment, outings, and all the fun stuff to us volunteers.

Wow, how's that for wishful thinking!

Your hypothetical Scouter has the BSA position code "CR."

Scan a copy of BSA publication #33118D, "The Chartered Organization Representative." Refer to the pages listed.

- Actively work to recruit new Scouts, families and leaders (page 5)

- Actively set up fund raising opportunities (page 7)

- Over see the Troop Committee and The overall Unit Program (page 1,2,4,6)

- Arrange to obtain the necessarily awards and turn in assorted paperwork to Council (page 5,6,7)

- Work with volunteers to ensure they are trained in their positions and help them as much as possible to make their jobs smooth (not necessarily easy, but easy and organized as possible to perform) (page 4,5,6,7)

- Attend monthly Roundtables and stay in contact with the Unit Commissioner (page 6,7)

- Stay on top of and keep the committee informed of upcoming events, things going on at the Schools the unit services (where the kids attend), the location where the unit meets, with their sponsor organization, etc. (page 2,4,5,6)

Easy to describe, difficult to find.

I remember reading somewhere that this was tried in the Los Angeles area in the '50's. As I recall they hired Scoutmasters who were schoolteachers. It wasn't fulltime employment. I believe it was scrapped for many reasons, primarily because the mercenaries didn't feel adequately compensated for the amount of time it took.

DDibben - If you have. or ever find, a COR who is doing all of those things you listed, sign them to a lifetime cvontract. In over 40 years, I've never seen a COR do even 1/4 of that list!

And being someone who is temporarily "retired" or in between jobs, where do I sign up for the paid position?

eagle90

I am our organization's representative (CR). I do all those things (I do not micromanage, however). I attend every unit meeting, committee meeting, campout, fundraiser, recruiting function, school night, camporee, long-term camp, and OA event because I love this Scouting stuff.

I also attend every District Committee meeting. Strangely, I am the only CR who attends the meetings. It makes the District Committee fairly uncomfortable.

I go to every Roundtable and every training session I can make. I have attended SM/ASM Leader Specific & Outdoor Skills three times, and will attend again this Fall.

In a perfect world every CR would be involved. I am a black & white kind of guy; the job description says "do this thing," I do that thing. I would not turn down a paycheck tho, heh.

One hour a week...uh huh. :)