What Scouting Did For You...

If you were to ask me which Scout Leader I was most influenced by as a lad. I would say my Dad, with a tear in my eye and a heart full of pride.

I have to give you a bit of background to understand why... I was a difficult child with so many problems that they couldn't even be counted, I had a medical record a mile thick. I have since learned to live with my problems, and lead a some what normal life. Here is a short idea of what my problems are: ADHD, Dyslexia, short / long term memory problems, coordination problems, speech impairments, bit of hearing lose, among other problems.

As a result of some weird things I would do either for "fun" or to get "attention" my dad had to tackle me a few time. Keep in mind my dad is not a big guy, or a fast guy, he did what he had to do - do for his son. In more recent years I have leanrned how many times the Troop tried to kick me out (the Troop I made Eagle in), yet each time my dad fought for me.

Please don't get me wrong, I was not a bully, violent or even the type to try and harm myself. In real life I was timid chicken, and even still I am in some ways. I am not really sure how to explain how I would act out, most of it I don't remember anymore. The main problem was I had no social skills, and today still have trouble in that area.

It is still amazing what I have accomplished: I graduated High School with a 3.43 gpa and College with two AA degrees in computers with a 3.56 gpa which means I graduated honor roll and on the deans list. I earned Eagle, I am a Brotherhood in the OA, Woodbadge trained, I even run my own business on the side, and so much more.

Ok my dad alone did not do all of that. The Scouting program, the other leaders, and even many of the Scouts resulted in a much better me. It also probably resulted in a better them.

What did Scouting or a special leader do for you?

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

I had the distinct privilege of being a member of Troop 168 in Vanderbilt, PA, in the mid to late 1970's. My Scoutmaster was very patient with us, and let us learn from our mistakes.I think that experience was what made me and the rest of the guys in the Troop what we are today.

We certainly had our fun, but we learned alot about planning and organization. We learned how to cooperate and compromise. Most of all, we learned about respect for the individual. We didn't realize it at the time, but our SM was helping us to build character.

That is what Scouting has done for me.

FYI, about a week and a half ago, we had a special reunion for our wonderful SM of Troop 168. The memories that we shared, and the stories of how our live's unfolded were certainly highlights of this special time that we were fortunate enough to spend together.

I have always been an avid outdoors person since I was 4 years old. I have camped all over North America and traveled by car, train, bike and canoe to get to the camp.

I spent 4 years as a youth as a Cub Scout and never received the Lion or Webelos badges. I aged into Boy Scouts and spent another 4 years there having earned 1 merit badge (stamp collecting) and attained the rank of 2nd Class.

The lesson I learned was when I became a scout leader I would never do to a boy what had happened to me.

Thankfully my father kept the excitement of the outdoors alive in me through these growing years.

After 20 years of scout leadership as an adult I often wonder if there are boys out there that think of me as I remember my scout leaders. I surely hope not.

Stosh

What did Scouting do for me? Everything!

While in scouting it was my source of accomplishment. While others may have been a member for a sports team, band, or school club, I was a Boy Scout. It taught me self reliance and pride in my accomplishments. Later while an Explorer, I trained for my later advocation.

As an adult, I took the training I learned as a Boy Scout and joined the fire department as volunteer. I spent over a decade as a EMT and rescue technician. The medical training I underwent as part of an Explorer Post jumpstarted my EMT training and service. The outdoor skills and training supported my time as Search and Rescue team member. The morals and character training has defined my entire life and the way I respond to daily life.

In short, scouting made my who I am today.