Hi, my name is Vicki...and when I did NYLT Pack and Paddle last summer I took those (shudder) Folger's individual coffee bags, fired up a backpacking stove and brewed myself 6 ozs of coffee, just to stave off that headache that someone mentioned earlier in the thread. This, from a person who grinds her own beans and brews with fresh water at home.

Tobacco, on the other hand, is a nasty habit that affects other people (second-hand smoke and the afore-mentioned $80K construction project as examples) and the environment (someday you'll see my name in the paper when one too many people flips a butt out of the car ahead of me). As an ex-smoker of many years, I firmly believe that if a person can't hold off smoking until they are out of the smell-range of scouts, they should probably consider their value to the program and where they can best serve. Just my opinion, campfire chatter and YMMV.

Vicki

www.litterbutt.com

I'm with ya, Vicki. Every day, I want to jump out of my car and pick up the lit butt and toss it back into their car...but I would probably be charged with assault. But, for some reason, smokers think they can assault MY environment. When I'm stopped at a light and see the thousands of butts littering the curb, I am incensed and disgusted. Whenever we have a family gathering, I have to go out in my front yard and pick up the butts that my brothers-in-law tossed, since we don't allow smoking in the house. I'll go ahead and say it...most smokers are inconsiderate morons. Sorry, but that's my observation.

Wow!

How times have changed.

Back across the Big Pond, when I was a young Scout it seemed that all the wise and learned Scoutmasters were guilty of smoking a pipe.

I'm still smoking. I'll admit that I'm hooked. However I really don't think I fall into the "inconsiderate morons" Group.

I do enjoy a lot of things that I know are not good for me.

I also enjoy a lot of things that are good for me that young people have to wait till they reach 21 years of old to try.

While I don't try and hide anything that I do. (I don't do anything that is not legal!) I don't in anyway "Dangle" my bad habits in their face.

No great "War Stories" of past parties.

I'm OK with doing what I can to remain within the BSA Guidelines and am happy to follow leave no trace, even if Her Who Must Be Obeyed does at times get upset when she finds butts in my pockets.

One of my new pet peeves is finding empty discarded plastic water bottles everywhere (Rory has a habit of wanting to carry them home.)

Maybe we should have a word with all the water drinkers?

Ea.

Sorry if my language was a bit strong...but this is something I feel strongly about. I agree, discarded water bottles are just as bad, but not nearly as prevalent. In fact, the news this weekend reported that the City of San Francisco has banned the purchase of bottled water by city departments. Reasons stated are litter, and the oil it consumes to make a plastic bottle that ends up in the landfill. Tap water is just as good, if not better quality. I grew up in the 50's and 60's with both parents smoking. Dad died at 69 of lung cancer and Mom at 70 of a heart attack and diabetes. My sister and I were subjected to 8 hour road trips in the Pontiac Star Chief with the windows rolled up, choking on second hand smoke. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "shut up, it's none of your business." Well, now I'm in my 50's and it IS my business because their habit has unalterably changed my life.

I'm far from perfect and have my share of bad habits. But I don't smoke, litter, speed, or use my cell phone while driving. I don't do anything that knowingly will cause risk, harm, grief or pain (emotional, financial or physical) to my kids or anyone else one day. Smokers can't say that. My MIL finally went cold turkey when she had to be on oxygen 24/7 and she would immolate herself if she lit up. So it IS possible, in spite of what she said for 50 years. I just wish she had quit wheen she still had lungs; her days would be spent enjoying her grandkids instead of just concentrating on her next breath and wondering when her heart will give out from the cardiovascular strain.

I mean no offense to anyone here. I'm venting, and realize I have no choice but to "deal with it". But I do wish smokers would look beyond their own nose and realize what their choices can do to others. If the decision is to keep smoking, then they are saying, "I don't care what it does to my family, MY pleasure is more important and this is what I want."