Hi Pete

Basically you lay some foil on the ground. drive a stake in the ground and set the turky one the stake. Cover with a trash can and put hot coals on top and around the can. Works really well. Do a Google search and you will find some pictures.

Barry

You need to burn the zinc out of the trash can before using.

I saw a 30lb. Turkey cooked in one of these under 2 hours.

When the guy took it off the stake he almost dropped it as the meat was falling off the bones.

I have also seen smaller Turkey's placed on a rack.

Hi All

I'm not trying to highjack thissubject, only enhance it. But here is another turkey recipe our troop has used a 100 times. It is from Jim in Kansas and in his own words. Man can he cook.

Okay folks, here's the instructions for THE most spectacular and amazing way to roast a turkey. No, not even grandma's time-tested recipe will beat this! The turkey is golden brown all the way around and incredibly juicy!

All of my scouting friends now roast their family Thanksgiving turkey in this fashion. Here goes:

EQUIPMENT NEEDED:

4ea 4ft steel rebar stakes

4ea 10in X 3ft strips of chicken wire rolled into 3ft tall tubes

1 roll heavy duty, wide aluminum foil

3ea 8ft staves

charcoal and starter

1 thawed turkey - popout button type or use meat therm.

1 large onion

salt

trowel or tongs

PROCEDURE:

1. Pound 4ft rebar stakes into ground to make a 3ft X 3ft square.

2. Attach chicken wire tubes to stakes.

3. Wrap aluminum foil around stakes and tubes to make a box. Wrap two strips high. Crimp strips together at center seam. You should now have a 3ft square reflector oven.

4. Wire staves together to form tripod and place over box.

5. Remove giblets, wash turkey, rub with salt inside and out. Quarter onion and put inside turkey.

6. Suspend from tripod into center of box.

7. Start charcoal, when ready, use trowel or tongs to fill chicken wire tubes with hot charcoal.

8. As turkey cooks, add more unlit charcoal.

COOKING NOTES:

This is guaranteed to work the first time! An eighteen-twenty pound turkey takes about four hours to cook. After the first two hours you'll say"NO WAY...this bird is still raw!" An hour or two later it will be absolutely golden brown and beautiful. You won't believe how juicy it is!

Blue Skies!