Cell phones, text messaging, etc....again

"Hooray for electronics on camping trips, at least in the good-old days. Now back to the original thread."

Nice dodge.

The question remains: Do you use the Patrol Method?

If so what business is it to any adult what a Patrol does in the privacy of its own Patrol site?

Kudu

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a rule in our troop about no electronics (other than flashlights or cameras) on campouts. There really is no reason for the Scouts (or adults) to have electronics on the campouts. Myself (and a few other adults) that bring our cell phones with us generally leave them in our cars. That way, we can get to them in case of an emergency. We relish the chance to actually get away from everything for a day or two.

As for the Scouts, if they bring their gameboys, then they tend to sit in their tents or under their dining flys and isolate themselves. These games require very little human interaction. Campouts like these are a wonderful chance for Scouts (and adults) to develop interpersonal skills and how to really deal with each other. There are no real positives to having the games on a campout. Sometimes, the kids will bring a chess board or playing cards or some other "old school" type of game. The interaction between the Scouts while playing these games is incredible. We adults (and sometimes the Scouts) will often play Euchre (requires four players). The playful banter that goes on during these games is much more rewarding than sitting in silence while watching a DVD.

Video games may be fun, but they reduce human interaction.

As far as Scouts needing a cell phone "for emergencies", they don't need one at all. On my first campout back in the early 80's, the son-in-law of one of our ASM's was killed in a car accident that Friday night. His wife called the camp office where we were staying to send a message to have him call home. He called from the camp office and got the bad news. Obviously, he and his son left the campout soon after to take care of things at home. That is about as big of an outside (away from camp) emergency as you will have to deal with. This situation was handled just fine without a cell phone.

As far as cell phones go, I think people are so scared to "get away from it all", they feel they must have their phones at all times. Mom doesn't need to call dad to find out how junior did on the hike that morning. Junior can tell mom when he gets home the next day. Does dad really need to know his daughter's dance competition results ten minutes after it happens? I don't mean to sound cruel, but sometimes good news can wait a day or two.

"Sometimes, the kids will bring a chess board or playing cards or some other "old school" type of game."

But do you ban solitaire? I understand the reasons given for no electronics on a campout, and I agree with most of them. These are all good things for the SM to bring up when he is advising the SPL and the PLC--but the boys may have some contrary reasons, or some compromise suggestions (ie., cellphones with restrictions, no game devices, etc.). My point is that if we let the boys make the decisions, except when we don't agree, they aren't really making the decisions.

Banning Solitaire? Absolutely not. Like I'm sure most troops do, we watch the Scouts and if we notice one isolating himself, we work with the other Scouts to get him interacting again. The only time I've seen kids playing Solitaire, they're sitting talking with the other Scouts waiting for their turn on the chess board, etc.

The last time we had a Scout bring a Gameboy on a campout, his dad let him sit out in their car (it was winter and we were in a cabin) and play his game by himself for 2-3 hours.

When I said something to the dad about it, his reply was "if I didn't let him bring his Gameboy, he wouldn't have come to the campout." At that point, I asked his dad why did he bother paying for his son to come if he didn't want to be there and was just going to isolate himself from everyone? Dad just played enabler on that one.

I've had multiple parents wonder how their sons would survive without their video games for the weekend. Amazing how many of them are shocked when their kid actually has a good time and has fun with the other Scouts. As you can guess, I am not a fan of video games at all.

"Like I'm sure most troops do, we watch the Scouts and if we notice one isolating himself, we work with the other Scouts to get him interacting again."

Could that not be done with electronic isolating devices too?