In the thread on whether SM's have to approve an Eagle CoH, John writes:

"Being an SM requires a certain amount of iron courage, to stand up for

what is right... for the sake of the youth members of our program! "

John's definitely right on this count. One problem I see sometimes is that the SM (or CM for that matter) seems to take this to extremes, the "my way or the highway" approach. So let's add to this.

Being an SM requires...

the wisdom to know which battles are really worth fighting right now.

Yah, this is an interestin' question, eh? What are the necessary traits for a successful SM?

I agree with John. Virtually all of the successful troops I've seen have a SM with relatively strong "presence" and who demonstrates personal care for what goes on in the program - including having the courage to say "no" when that's appropriate. Of course, "no" is often disparaged by those on the receivin' end as a "my way or the highway" approach (just like da kids sometimes interpret "no" as being "mean"). That interpretation happens most often among people who've never served in a leadership role for a bunch of teenagers.

Yah, but I see Lisa'bobs point, too. There are a fair number of adults in Scoutin' whose egos are too invested in the program. You can recognize 'em at BOR's because they're the ones who never really listen to the youth's responses they're so busy tellin' their own story or tryin' to get the kid to say it the way they would say it. But I think mostly the harsh ones are the inexperienced ones, who haven't learned how to balance things yet. Just like a lot of da kids' first attempts at leadership model the "drill sergeant", same with adults, eh? Some patience and understandin' is called for.

What do the rest of you see as characteristics of the good scout leaders you know?

A good Scoutmaster:

- Understands and cares about the youth

- Has a commitment to deliver the program and not re-invent it

- Understands that the Scoutmaster and the SPL are the troop leaders; the CO and the committee are there for administrative support

- Understands that no matter what other might think, the SPL is the *real* troop leader

- Is able to not only apply the program and the rules, but also be able to impart the reasoning behind both

- Understands that the methods of Scouting are just that- methods, not goals

- Is able to make the Scouts buy into the goals of Scouting

- Praises in public, reprimands in private

I'm sure I have missed a few...

Ed P.

Assistant Scoutmaster, Advisor

Some characteristics of a successful Scoutmaster:

Commitment to the ideals of Scouting

High moral standards

Ability to relate to boys

Ability to keep a cool head under pressure

Good organization skills

Ability to relate to and interact with adults

Flexibility and the ability to compromise

Good planning ability

High energy level

Good attention to detail

Hi All

In my opinion a SM only needs dedicated to Scouting ideals and a humble heart. The BSA mission is to make moral decision makers using the Scout Law. That basically requires a SM who understands how use the ideals to develop successful moral decision making adults. Humility is important to prevent the SMs self-gratification and self-servingness from restricting the program and allow others to to bring skills the SM may lack for a quality program.

Barry

I agree by and large with Barry.

That said, I believe a SM should:

- Have a passion for supporting, cheerleading and helping young men raise themselves to adulthood.

- Know the programs of Scouting and leverage them to the best interest of his charges.

- Know the resources, human, land, and activity available within an hour of the Troops's gathering place.

- Stay current!!!

I like all of the above posts, I think there's some good stuff there. This is my take, in addition to, or to expand on the above,

A good SM should be able to...

-relate well to the boys and adults. When you're the Scoutmaster, you are (in the mind of most) the head cheese and the most informed. You're relied upon to mentor to the youth and to the adults.

-example. Live the program, be the program. An adaptation from "Happy Gilmore" but a good SM needs to exude Scouting ideals in all that he/she does, and make it seem second nature.

-team building. Recognize the different team building models be able to apply the appropriate leadership styles as needed.

-organization. Goes without saying, needs to be organized and prepared.

-available. Should be available to the troop, youth and adult, whenever they need him/her. Be the main resource.

-appropriate. Be appropriate in actions, deeds, words, dress, timeliness...be the example of appropriateness to the troop.

-current and relevant. Should be current with the goings on within the troop, district, council, etc. Should be current in training, and up to date with current thinking on methods. Should be relevant to the program and up on all of the latest things boys like to do. eg. I love to snow ski, have been doing so for 30+ years, but today the boys want to snow board...I've got no clue, so I have to at least learn the lingo and understand the basics.

-involved. Should be involved in the lives of the boys to the extent possible. Attend games and competitions, performances when you can. Connect to the boys in your unit like family, see them grow.

-authority. Sort of ties alot of these together, but a SM must be the authority on all things scouting, and must have the confidence to act as THE authority of the unit, even in the face of hyperactive parents, uncontrolled boys, scout leaders outside of the unit...

AS a relatively new SM (2 yrs, 14 with the troop as ASM or committee) the thing that we are working toward now is the transition from a boy led troop to a scout led troop.(had elections for SPL this week with 4 scouts running for the POR :) )

The 'buzz word' now is "personal responsibility" of each scout for their advancement in scouting as far as rank and merit badges. This means each scout is to be responsible for their advancment working with the troop advancement chair. In todays society this is a stretch for some scouts but is a good one as they are given ownership of what they accomplish in scouting.

The key to this is the involvement of adults in the program. The troop that I serve is blessed with a growing core of adults as ASMs and as SM it is my job to get them involved and trained. Jobs as Outdoor Program ASM, Indoor Program ASM, MOS advisors, or anything else I can think of to get them involved. We have ASMs who are responsible to get the forms the troop needs to provide the program, others are responsible for overnights, summer camp, etc, etc, etc.

To me, the task of the SM is to enable as many adults and scouts as possible to learn how scouting works and to provide the program of scouting. In effect to train my replacement and train the scouts in how to prepare other scouts to take on new responsibilities.

Each scout is a unique experience. Some Scouts soar, some flap. Some Eagles soar, some flap. But as long as they reach for the sky they are Scouts/Eagles. (some just take a bit longer to get there)

Getting people involved in scouting as they need to be is at times troublesome but as has been posted here. But, 'being' the program as SM I hope will eventually get all scouts and scouters there. Just takes patience and desire. (aspirin, ibuprofin, and longer to get off the ground :) )

New adults to scouting have little clue to what scouting is about, and they need to have 'veterans' of scouting to help them along the way. The program is for the youth yes, but if some target is not placed on the involvement of the adults the program really cannot be done.

The SMs job is to involve as many youth and adults as possible in the scouting program. Without this partnership scouting is not going to work.

off the soap box

yis

Red Feather

(ps: The ECOH in the troop that I serve is up to the scout and parents to put together with hopefully some input from the troop and its traditions.)