Scoutmaster can't go on all the campouts-is that OK?

So I guess in your case DH could double as "Designated Hitter" too then!

Stick with it gwd, it sounds like you have a great group of scouts and parents. And they sound like they'd do most anything to keep you!

• 2 weeks later...

gwd-scouter-

I would submit that Scoutmasters shouldn't attend every outing. I do believe it's good for the boys, and the adults, to be experiencing other styles of management and leadership.

I cannot always attend our outings because of some scheduling issues, work, anniversaries, etc. and when I joined our troop is was typical if the SM attended only a few outings a year. When I was CM years ago I was dubbed the Iron Man because I made it to every single outing, meeting, committee function, etc. It made me realize that I need to let others step up and be counted on.

Use your resources and let those other adults pitch in. I also think it's great that you and your spouse tag team on this. I guess neither one of you will be complaining of becoming a scouting widow or widower, eh? Now if I could only get my wife to take an interest...

Good luck

gwd -

I admire the fact that you wish to be an active participant on the outings. One thing I would like to add is that each ASM (there are 6 ASM's in our Troop),is responsible for doing the "leg work" for at least one outing a year. (i.e. tour permits, setting up transportation, etc.) and be the "SM", if you will, for that particular outing. The boys plan the outing and do the necessary preparations,while the adults make sure we have two-deep leadership, (at least one trained SM/ASM, and follow the "guide to safe scouting". We have found that this takes some of the burden off of the SM, so that he will not suffer from burn-out.

You should be proud of your accomplishments, and I'm sure the boys will understand the reasons why you may not be accompanying them on every outing. Don't forget that a "Scout is Helpful", and if you find youself needing some assistance on an outing, a good scout will be there to offer a helping hand.

Our SM cannot make it to every campout either. Nowaday, it is awefully difficult to work the schedule that we all have and still make it to campout, troop meetings, soccer games, basketball games, orchestra performance, band performance, and the list goes on!

Our SM works for an oil/gas company and does a lot of off shore ... he makes it as many campouts as his schedule allows. That is why the task of scoutmastership is being shared by 6 other men. Each of us ASM takes 2 campouts/activities and leads them (essentially become the scoutmaster for the event). If our SM is there, he has the job; however, if he doesn't the lead ASM has the job. We all are trained and we all work well together. The boys have become to us well and what we do. When there is a scoutmaster conference is needed, usually the two most tenured ASMs take on the task.

Bottom line is that if all of your adult leaders are trained and know what and how the program is to run, then there should be a reason why the SM is needed at every campout! Sometimes, the SM needs a break, too!

As all other indicated, gwd ... you are doing a wonderful job. Thank you on behalf of your scouts and their parents!

1Hour

"Is it OK for the SM to take care more of the indoor part of the program (leadership training, mentoring, conferences, etc.) and leave the outdoor part to the other adults? "

Yes.

And thank you for your continued service to scouting in whatever capacity you feel you can best serve.

SA

• 3 weeks later...

Cave trip this weekend. I actually have been feeling very well for two weeks, but husband put his foot down and said if you have any pains at all before we leave - you're not going. Figured the 5 hour car ride would do me in anyway, so I hadn't actually planned to go. Oh well, as it turns out, I woke up this morning in less than perfect shape and was reminded again of my limitations.

So, I bid my boys and leaders farewell this morning as they went off on their cave adventure. Oh how I wish I could be there to see these boys and share in their first time experience under ground! I'll have to settle for waiting for their return tomorrow and hear all about it then.

Next month is Stone Mountain and Six Flags. Even if I'm unable to ride the coasters (boo hoo), I'll at least be there.