Eagle Scout Charge and Challenge

OJ is planning his Eagle Scout Court of Honor.

He seems to have more ideas than Cater has pills!!

I have been informed that I'm going as his Dad -Not as a Scouter.

He really wants this event to be his way of thanking all those who have over the years helped him reach his goal.

We have had several late night chats about what sort of ceremony he wants.

His Uncle is an Eagle Scout.

He lives about 3 miles down the road, but we rarely see him and don't have much to do with him.

OJ's Mother thinks it would be nice if his uncle read the Eagle Charge.

We (OJ and I) think that as he is no longer in a Troop some of this is meaningless.

A lot of stuff in the Eagle Challenge is just way over the top.

I have explained that this is just a ceremony and while a lot of it is very nice, none of it is from the BSA.

There really is no real Eagle Promise or Pledge.

At this time OJ really has no plans to return to the Troop. This could of course change, maybe tomorrow or maybe not for a very long time.

My advise to him has been to keep it simple and make sure that what ever he decides is from his heart. We both feel that both the Eagle Scout Charge and Challenge don't live up to that.

Ea.

Eamonn,

This is very presumptuous of me, but see what you think of this. You may delete this posting if you think it is not appropropriate. You, or anyone else, may use any of this that may be helpful. Congratulations to OJ!

Charge to the Eagle Scout!

OJ

Eagle Court of Honor

Sometime in 2007

By Whomever

In my position as _____________ and as a representative of (your family and of) Boy Scout Troop XYZ, I have the privilege to give you, OJ, an Eagle Scout Charge on this important occasion, marking your advancement to the highest rank in Scouting. You are an Eagle Scout!

The Scouts of all nations together form one of the most significant, far-reaching and reputable youth movements in the world's history. You are judged by the Boy Scouts of America as being worthy of its highest rank. All who know you rejoice in your achievement.

OJ, you are marked with the sign of the Eagle. Your new position is one of honor and responsibility. As an Eagle Scout, you renew your obligation to do your duty to God, to your country, to your fellow scouts, and to all people. As you live up to your responsibilities you will bring honor to yourself, to your family and to your brother scouts.

OJ, I charge you to undertake your citizenship with steadfast dedication. Be a leader who looks only towards the noblest goals. Lift up every task you do to the highest level of service to God and to all people.

I charge you, OJ, to dedicate your skills and abilities to the common good. Continue living according to the Scout Oath and Law, from On your honor to morally straight, and from Trustworthy to Reverent. Be of strong character, be self-reliant, be considerate, serve others, be courageous, and above all, be a good citizen of America and the world. Continue enjoying the adventure of the outdoors. Have fun with your family, friends and fellow scouts in all the natural wonders of our planet Earth. As the eagle flies to the highest peaks, so too, should you always soar to the highest goals.

OJ, I charge you to choose your friends carefully, and be a leader who acts with integrity and respect. Make ethical and moral choices throughout your life, based on the principals you have learned in Scouting.

This is the charge to the Eagle Scout.

Congratulations, OJ!

Eamonn,

The five young men who went through Eagle COH together with my son asked the Troops Grandpa-in-Residence to give the charge. He was an Eagle himself. They chose not to take the Eagle Oath.

What does OJ want?

Eamonn and Fellow Scouters,

I do not want to hijack this string and not intending to sidebar the conversation too far from Eamonn's original string.

But... Eamonn stated "There really is no real Eagle Promise or Pledge."

As my family prepared for my oldest sons' ceremony, we looked at many scripts and ceremonies, and found two, maybe three Eagle Scout Pledges.

It was a big event for my son, we had a great ceremony and afterward a dinner, DJ and dancing for the teens. As my son, wife and myself wrote and re-wrote the script, ceremony, dinner and party. The days counting down to his Eagle Court of Honor ceremonies, we received his Eagle package at the Council.

I know some of the items were provided by my local council, and some of the items were provide from National. Inside the Eagle package was his Eagle Certificate, Letter of Congratulations from Chief Scout Executive Roy L. Williams, and National Commissioner (at the time) Rick Cronk, and an Eagle Scout Pledge (which we used this in his ceremony and placed in the album with other letters). Along with just a few additional tokens from Council.

All that to say.... I've seen just a few versions of the Eagle Pledge, but I thought that the Eagle Scout Pledge in my sons Eagle package was provided by National, and would therefore be considered official.

My question is; Did anyone else receive this sheet in their Eagle's package? or is this just an insert from my council?

The ceremony is all about OJ and his accomplishments, and should contain whatever script he is happy with.

I am only asking to find out if this Eagle Scout Pledge (I thought came from National) is official.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

"My question is; Did anyone else receive this sheet in their Eagle's package? or is this just an insert from my council?"

We received a Eagle Scout Challenge sheet...with the four obligations (Baltimore Area Council). I am not sure that makes it an official document.

Eamonn, I am in the process of working with my own son in planning his Eagle COH for later this month. He quickly dispensed with the Eagle Charge and Eagle Challenge...too much blah blah blah. He settled on just taking the Eagle Promise (I reaffirm my allegiance to the three promises of the Scout Oath. I thoughtfully recognize and take upon myself the obligations and responsibilities of an Eagle Scout. On my honor I will do my best to make my training and example, my rank and my influence count strongly for better scouting and for better citizenship in my troop, in my community, and in my contacts with other people, to this I pledge my sacred honor.) A few tweaks (oh horrors) here and there should make it something O.J. can live with.

Have fun.

(btw...I haven't received my invitation yet...must be lost in the mail).

This is an interesting discussion. A few months ago I was asked to present the Eagle to one of three scouts at their ECOH. I was also asked to give the Eagle Charge and I was so honored by the request that I was almost in tears. I turned them down because I felt that was a place for an Eagle and I am a Life Scout. I have no regrets about turning down the reques, but I still think about it a lot because it was so hard to turn down. I would have given a heck of a charge.

The best ECOH I ever attended was a short one where the Eagle spent much of the time thanking all those who helped him get to that point in his life. He did a good job and that ECOH always sticks in my mind. I don't remember if there was a charge.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Not to criticize anyone in particular, but I wonder if this isn't a stumbling point in our society where young men do not want to take an oath, do not want to promise anything, and do not want to hear what they are charged with doing in the future?

I took the oath and heard the charge read some 43 years ago, and it must have stuck. I'm still here!

To me the Eagle COH is just as much an incentive to the younger up and coming scouts as it is for the Eagle himself.

And I think a little formality is good in their lives. We allow some latitude in the ceremony, but I would always include the oath and charge.

Dale

From talking with OJ.

I don't think he is in any way unwilling to commit to the Scout Oath and Law.

He sees the Eagle Scout Charge and Challenge as being too wordy and as some kind of window dressing.

To date the best ECOH I have attended was a young man who was in an LDS Troop (His mother was my boss!!)

What made it special was that he really seemed to be very sincere when he thanked his leaders and parents.

He then spoke to the younger members of the Troop. The ceremony was in the church and cookies and punch were served after.

All too often it seems to me that the ceremony becomes bigger than the Scout!!

Ea.