scout sunday-communion

Our Troop attended Church together this morning to observe Scout Sunday. The Chuch we attended celebrated communion this morning. The minister stated it was an open communion and was available to all. Many of our boys went forward and many of their family members. We have boys in the Troop whose religion seems to discourage (forbid?) taking communion in another church. They did not go forward. I opted to stay in the pews with these boys so they would not be too self-concious about it. One of the parents that took communion asked me (nicely) if I shouldn't have gone forward to set the example. What do y'all think? I don't believe this will be a big issue in the Troop, just wondered what your thinking is.

Baden,

Sounds like a wonderful church and you did a great job supporting the boys who remained...and yes some religions (and/or families) discourage their parishoners from active participation in "other church's" rites. However, some boys may never have even seen a communion rite and you "did good" in giving them "cover" if that was the case. Some may have other reasons for not participating which in the long and short of it are none of our businesses...Keep up the good work...

and Novice? What Super Bowl???

anarchist

First, I don't think there is a correct or incorrect response. A little background for me. I'm a member of a catholic church but not a member of the Catholic Church. As such, I do not, nor does the Catholic Church allow "non-members" to partake in their sacrements such as communion. Our troop is chartered by an Episcopalian church. The Epicopal Church is like the church you mentioned, open communion. When our troop attended their service (not one Scout happens to be a member of the CO chruch) I took communion. I did it because I had no problem with it from a religious perspective and second, as a guest "did in Rome as the Romans did." My action, as Scoutmaster, showed the boys that it was okay to participate and all did. Like it or not, we are a role model and staying in the pews or not willl influence the action of many of the boys either way. Because the church charters are troop I followed their customs. Not sure if the church your troop attended was affiliated with your troop or not but I would probably taken communion. However, I agree with you that is should not be a big issue either way.

I come from the other perspective, a catholic parish (yes, small c) with close communion.

Our job as Scouters is to promote that the young men have a faith corner in their lives. It is NOT to evangelize/prosletyize. If the young men, and their knowledge of Holy Scripture, and their understanding says "avoid this table," then a little support from an adult is a blessing to them in their walk with God.

Baden ... good for you! :)