With the new youth leadership training routine, is there any way the youth can get "trained" without having to pay $200+ and take a week of camp to work through the curriculum? As a troop we used to take a weekend and go through the JLT material with our kids, but now it seems so expensive and complicated that none of our kids are interested in getting the training.

There's the Troop-based version, but it's been watered down too much IMO.

The new NYLT is excellent. Consider that your scouts are essentially going to camp for another week: the money pays for certain course materials, food, insurance, staff, etc. I sent two boys last years and they came back so much more enthusiastic and fired up than the boys who went to the earlier version.

If the cost is prohibitive for the boys, consider asking your troop committee to budget money to pay all or a significant share of the cost for x number of boys each year. My committee does that (without regard to financial need) and feels that it is money well spent. NYLT is treated as an ADDITIONAL week of camp for the boys that attend.

Also, the current training continuum has been more or less the same for at least a 2-3 decades (other then updates of the courses). A week of training for youth is NOT something new, so I don't fully understand the issue.

A few years ago it was:

* Officer briefing by SM

* weekend Junior Leader Training/Troop Program Planning by SM

* week long Junior Leader Training Conference by council

* week long National Junior Leader Instructor Camp at Philmont (for JLTC SPLs)

Today its

* Officer briefing by SM

* weekend Troop Leadership Training/Troop Program Planning by SM

* week long National Youth Leadership Training by council

* week long National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience at Phimont (for ANY youth who has gone thru NYLT)

* weekend Youth Staff Development Course by regionals (for NYLT youth staff only)

As noted, $200 is not unreasonable for a weeklong training event. About the same costs as other weeklong training, such as Wood Badge, Powder Horn, etc.

Clarification.

"Officer briefing" is the term used in Venturing that is called "Introduction to Leadeship Conference" in scout troops. I couldn't recall what it was called. The syllabus for this is given in the Scoutmaster Handbook, which should give the training continuum for 'youth leaders' (formerly called 'junior leaders').

Also, if you get the Leadership Training Committee booklet (#34169A) from National Supply (any good scout shop should have several in stock), it too gives the training continuum for all youth leaders.

Refer to the Troop Leadership Training book # 34306A, and Chapter 7 of the Scoutmaster Handbook. TLT is done at the troop level, by the Scoutmaster with the help of previously trained youth. The week-long council level National Youth Leadership Training assumes the boy has already done the troop level training, is 13 and First Class, and is the SPL or ASPL.

"Realize that the youth are trained after they have completed TLT. They don't need NYLT to be trained."

They earn the Trained strip by going thru TLT. But they should still go to NYLT for futher training. Training is on-going. Let's not instil this 'idea' that training ends when a course does.

Also, not sure the source of Fscouter's requirements to attend NYLT. AFAIK, the only requirement is they should go thru TLT. I am not aware of any age, rank, or position requirement to attend NYLT.

Chapter 7 "Training Youth Leaders" in the Scoutmaster Handbook:

"Each youth leader should have experienced all three modules [of TLT] before going on the the council-sponsored National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) course."

"Most [NYLT]conferences require that participants be First Class Scouts who are at least 13 years of age. Each youth should be his troop's senior patrol leader or assistant senior patrol leader, or should expect to hold one of these positions soon."

"Most [NYLT]conferences require that participants be First Class Scouts who are at least 13 years of age. Each youth should be his troop's senior patrol leader or assistant senior patrol leader, or should expect to hold one of these positions soon."

Interesting, considering the description of NYLT from the "Leadership Training" booklet (#3416A) says that NYLT is for senior patrol leaders, patrol leaders, and other youth leaders, with no mention of age or rank requirements.

From page 15 of the staff guide for NYLT.

An NYLT course is ideal for training senior patrol leaders and patrol leaders. It can also be a valuable experience for other older scouts.

Be 13 years old of age and have completed the seventh grade.

Be a First Class Scout.

It sure seems like adding a requirement to have been trained in TLT should be added to the age and rank requirements. But this may eliminate scouts where the troops do not do TLT.

On page 1 of the NYLT staff guide it does say.

Youth leadership is a three-phase training experience, and a common thread will connect all three phases. The first phase begins in the troop with the senior patrol leader and the Scoutmaster conducting the training. Phase two is NYLT conducted by the local council, and the third phase is advanced training, a week long experience at Philmont Scout Ranch.

Does anyone know if there is any video/DVD materials available for the TLT course. The old Scoutmaster's Training Kit for the week end troop training had a video and a manual. All I can seem to find is the Troop Leadership Training guide #34306A. Need Visual props to help promote the use of this at Rooundtables.

LongHaul

"Does anyone know if there is any video/DVD materials available for the TLT course. The old Scoutmaster's Training Kit for the week end troop training had a video and a manual. All I can seem to find is the Troop Leadership Training guide #34306A. Need Visual props to help promote the use of this at Rooundtables."

Nope. That is it. There is a DVD with the council NYLT course, but nothing for TLT. If something is coming soon, I have no idea.

(actually, I don't recall being too impressed with the TLT materials. there was a lot of assumptions as to the knowledge of the leader to teach the materials, with no info or references or the like to educate themselves on the information they were teaching)