Tandem Bikes and the Cycling MB

I have an idea that I would like to throw out for some feedback.

Just over a year ago I purchased an old (maybe 60s) tandem bike. My wife and I ride it a lot on the multi-use path that is near the house as well as around the local neighborhood streets and to church. The bike created a lot of buzz and excitement. This energy then led to my idea.

I would like to get some tandem bikes and start using the tandems to work on the Cycling merit badge. I was thinking that maybe tandem bikes might spark a little more excitement from the youth about Biking. I have spoken with a couple Scout leaders and the idea seemed to perk some interest. If I can get youth interested in continued riding, I could then look into including longer rides and some touring as high adventure activities.

For funding, I am looking into grants; I also have a small company that is willing to purchase some low-end tandems to see if the idea would work.

I would like to know anyone's thoughts, ideas, and/or experiences using tandem bikes for the Cycling merit badge.

Thanks,

Shane Heaps

Tandems are a serious sub culture in the World of Cycling.

There are races, clubs, time trials, magazines devoted to Tandems.

Just as with single seats, one can be as frugal or as profligate as one wishes. $300 or $30,000 ("nicely equipped", as the auto ads say).

Unfortunately I am far removed from my bicycling days, rich and varied as they were. I'll not bore you with those details. But after reviewing the Cycling MB requirements, I see no reason why a Tandem could not be used to fulfill it. Certainly a pair of adult leaders could participate in a Scout ride on one.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to require the two Scouts on a Tandem to trade positions so they could demonstrate their skill both as "stoker" (rear) and as "captain" (front). And believe me, the two positions do need different skills. Maintenance requirements are the same, perhaps even more rigorous for the slightly more complex mechanism. Trip planning requirements would be the same.

So go for it!

YiS Willy Nelson* and Gene Autry**

*on the road again...

** back in the saddle again(This message has been edited by SSScout)