Yah, I've been totally pulverizin' the dead horse tryin' to help folks understand the BSA's legal/business/services model. FScouter raised a different issue, which is more a philosophical one that several others seem to keep bringin' up - callin' another troop program "Not Scouting" because it doesn't adhere to somethin' the writer feels is important. I confess this frosts my toes a bit, but I'd also like to understand it since AFAIK this idea is unique to these forums, eh?

There is no such thing as a CO designed program that happens to use some BSA materials (no purchase required) that can be called Scouting.

All of us design our own programs, with our PLC, usin' some BSA materials, of course.

But here's some interestin' examples. I know a Christian Academy in our district that charters a troop essentially just for the insurance and access to BSA camps for retreats. I know a couple of private high schools that charter Crews for essentially the same reason. BSA is happy to call them "Scouting" and count 'em among youth served. So it's not an issue for the BSA. And I'm happy to serve 'em as best I can as a district commish. Da more programs to help young people, the better.

To me, though, I guess philosophically I wouldn't quite consider 'em Scouting, but I'm not sure why. They do Adult Relationships and some outdoors. There's the usual school/sports versions of youth leadership. Even uniform of the Class B/Venturing variety. They're definitely BSA members in good standin'. Maybe I miss the Oath/Law? Yah, but nobody ever really says the Venturing Oath, and I recognize Venturin' as Scouting.

I think the biggest thing is I don't know as much about how to support 'em. The materials and trainin' I have are fairly limited in terms of the business they're runnin'. But then, I feel that way about Youth Ministry Crews, too.

By contrast, international Scoutin' and some other scout Associations in the U.S. aren't part of the BSA, and do things much differently than the BSA (includin' girls and other G's). But I recognize 'em philosophically as Scouting.

So I'm curious. For all you out there,

What is Scouting?

The answer can be found in the Charter and Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America. Section 3.

It is also found in the Articles of Incorporation Article 3. Used by Councils

Eamonn.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

What is scouting?

Its a program created by this guy named Baden-Powell. Yes, he took ideas from other people. Yes, others have created programs kinda like scouting, but scouting is the program HE created.

Yes, scouting is used in countries around the world. Yes, there are differences in those programs, but are those differences in the fundamentals of their programs or other elements. For me, if you change the fundamentals, its no longer scouting.

Here are the basics of scouting, for me.

Scouting is an outdoor-based character building/development and citizenship training program for youth, BUT delivered in such a way that is appealing for youth.

It has 3 Fundamental Principles:

* Duty to God (ie YOUR religious duty, whatever YOUR religion is)

* Duty to Others (including your government)

* Duty to Self

It has certain elements:

* A Promise (Oath) and Law

* Learn by doing

* Patrol system

* Symbolic Framework (scout emblem, etc)

* Personal Progression (achievement awards, etc)

* Nature (out of doors, camping, environment, etc)

* Adult Support (scout leaders, advisors, etc)

A uniform is also important as a way to put everyone on equal footing (same uniform for all, so no idea of economic disparity), and as a way to show your accomplishments.

Beavah

You have some really good feedback, most things you post I agree with. The one thing I struggle with is that you say any unit/person can do anything they want with the BSA program.

Now you say.

tryin' to help folks understand the BSA's legal/business/services model

What makes you the expert on the BSA legal/business/service model?

What insight do you have that the rest of us do not?

I agree on the physical status of the horse and kicking it once more won't help either. I suppose disagreement is better than the alternatives. You say on the one hand that Scouting can be done as any unit declares and then when it ain't, you find it hard to accept. It is one or the other but then it may be that you are just trying to find acceptance of a program gone south. DE's like to look the other way, UC's like to throw them a training brochure at the problem, and others just ignore what is going on. I believe they have chosen to ignore the greatest opportunity the world has to offer young people to grow in character, fitness, and citizenship.

(When I was a SM, these were our 8 methods I found to be effective.)

My take on the PLC running the show is that it is a limited form of government, much like a democracy. It is messy but there are even limits on that. I let the PLC know in general terms what the Troop Committee and the Adult Leaders can support and then the PLC decides within those limits.

Here are some of the limits:

We have two deep-leadership and more. This is because we want the Scouts to expand their program on every occasion and it best can be done with adult support, not to mention the safety aspect. By the way, the Guide to Safe Scouting is mandatory for all planning as well as First Aid, Sanitation and Safe Swim Defense/Safety Afloat. I expect one adult from every family to do one thing per year. That thing can be to lead an event, be a committee member or take on a project like the yearly banquet. The PLC also needs to keep in mind advancement and having fun.

We have an outdoor activity once per month. I accept that Scouts like to be outside, so off we go. I put on the table all District and Council activities as options. The committee generally allows trips within certain mileage, such as, one trip beyond the 100 mile barrier, two beyond 50 miles, and the rest under 50. We also have a large book packed with lots of places to go, so repetition is not a problem. We keep a Troop resource book of things that adults have for Troop usage, such as sailboats, lake front lots, etc. We emphasize fire building safety, cooking and occasional pioneering projects. Of course, map and compass, nature, conservation, stars, hiking are other options that are kept in mind.

Planning takes place only after all Scouts have had input to their leaders and then these desires are brought to the PLC and represented. The TC gets the results of the planning session and then they discuss what is feasible to support. The results are then discussed with the PLC. If all is well, then the plan is put on paper and sent out to all. It is a great recruiting tool.

We use the uniform as a method to bring Scouts together under one flag. We encourage the full uniform and give credit for having a time limited plan to purchase it. There is a uniform closet and assistance for any Scout that requests help. We will find a way. A uniform inspection is held during each of the four COH's. It is done quickly and a bead (*I didn't mention we had a bead program.) is awarded.

Advancement, Scout Spirit, and Leadership are musts because our program has integrated them into every activity. The PLC is aware of this and makes sure that advancement is part of the planning but not all of it. We hold four COH's per year with a banquet on the last one at the end of the year.

We have Patrols with their own traditions and new Patrols building some. We hold meetings every week of the year excepting when holidays take their toll. Patrol competitions are a standard fair at Troop meetings where skills are learned as well songs sung, and a host of other things done.

The Ideals of Scouting are integrated in every activity. The pledge, the Oath, the Law, the Slogan, the Motto, SM Minutes are fundamental. It is a thread that runs throughout and is great for helping to counsel and correct un-Scout-like behaviors. We also plan and carry-out one Service Project per year for our CO.

Personal Growth is expected. If we do all of these things and communicate as we go, then positive things generally happen. The majority of Scouts grow because of what we do and our experience showed that it was in a small number of cases that we had negative personal growth. I take credit for those few Scouts because I was growing as well and made mistakes that I wish could have been done over. (With people, there are few do-overs.)

We keep records, both written and pictorial, and evaluate our activities. We try to limit the number of times we make the same mistakes. We also have a presentation of our accomplishments during the yearly review on Scout Sunday to our CO.

fb

Beavah,

I think the issue is enforcement of the Charter.

On one hand, BSA sets a licensing contract with a community organization: The Chartered Partner. The CP granted the charter is expected to organize and operate units per the Scouting model. BSA provides training, facility, and support services to the CP.

There is a certain amount of flexibility in the license. PLCs and Venturing crew leadership teams routinely make program implementation decisions for their units. At the same time, there are areas which have almost no flex whatsoever: Advancement procedures are one of these. Save the special needs Scout, a boy has to have a certain matrix of 21 merit badges to qualify for Eagle.

Scouting is largely self-policing. We go round and round on uniform, and National wants us to wear a correct uniform, but as Beavah points out, I don't see professional dollars against the task.

Concurrently, there are areas where the Professional Service must be pedantic police. YP is one of them; if there's an incident, the SE has, in many States, a "Must Report" obligation to the local child welfare and gendarmerie authorities.

To me, overall, it's a crazy quilt. If you try to parse it for logic, you're going to go nuts!

This reminds me of a discussion some time ago about whether Scouting is a "movement." I argued at the time that while it once was a movement, it is now an institution.

I guess I would go on to say that Scouting, at least in the U.S., is (at least) two things. First, it is a set of ideas and ideals--the things embodied in the Oath and Law, and the basic elements of the program that have come down through the years. Second, it is an institution that grants franchises, and polices those franchises more or less depending on the particular issue involved.

It seems to me that a unit that ignores the ideas and ideals really isn't doing Scouting--even if they are in good standing with the franchisor--I think this is why Beavah felt that way about units that were registered just so they could get access to camps, etc.

I guess I would also distinguish between "not doing Scouting" and doing Scouting, but not well. Thus I think a troop that has very lax uniforming, little advancement, cabin camping, etc., may be doing Scouting, but not well. However, I feel the same way about a troop with perfect uniforming, regular advancement, and monthly campouts, but that is totally adult-led.