A lot of people ask me if we celebrate Thanksgiving in England?

As a rule I say that due to the fact we didn't have any Indians we tend to skip Thanksgiving.

Many churches celebrate a Harvest Festival.

At times the Thanksgiving holiday falls on my birthday, I'm not that happy about having to share my birthday with everyone else, but still it does mean that I had the day off work.

This year we are keeping everything very simple. We haven't invited anyone to join us for the holiday. The menu is nothing to write home about. Mushrooms stuffed with crab-meat, candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pies and of course the turkey.

Strange thing about turkeys is that they scare the heck out of me.

I know a Scout is brave, but I'm not at ease around turkeys.

As a little fellow, every summer I'd get packed off to my Grandparents farm in Ireland.

I loved the time I spent there. I think it was there that I fell in love with dogs. My Uncle Paddy was a well known dog trainer and worked at Slane Castle.

Over the summer I was fine working with cows and calves, we still milked by hand. I would feed the hens and collect the eggs, but there were always a few turkeys.

I somehow got the idea into my head that turkeys looked mean, I think they knew that I didn't like them and them knowing this made them even meaner!!

I made sure I didn't get too close.

One day last fall as OJ and I were going up to camp three giant turkeys flew from the field next to the drive way and landed right in front of me. It was early and I wasn't as alert as maybe I should have been. I was shocked to see this turkey trio land and couldn't help but think that they were trying to get back at me.

You see when I was feeding the hens, I was so scared of the turkeys that I didn't go near them and they missed out on a few meals.

To make matters worse a year or two back there was a murder case in our county where the weapon of choice was a frozen turkey along with another case of assault in a supermarket again with a frozen turkey. I was thinking of asking if turkeys in our area could come with a government health warning!!

To make the cleaning up a little faster I have cooked our turkey. Rory the Goldie and Joe the setter, sat by the oven drooling!! Golden Retrievers can really drool a lot.

Her Who Must Be Obeyed couldn't wait until tomorrow for some stuffing, so She had a little drool as well.

Thinking about it I now wish that we had Thanksgiving in England. I'm still scared of turkeys, I hate the idea of winter coming, but this holiday does give me the opportunity to look back over the past year. While it sure as heck could have been a lot better. I'm thankful that I am where I am. I'm thankful for having the best health-care in the world, so that Her Who Must Be Obeyed was able to enjoy her stuffing.

I'm thankful for the people I love and who love me and the kids who allow me to share in their growing.

Thanksgiving isn't about Indians, puritans, turkeys. It's a great time to just be grateful for the gifts that have been bestowed upon us.

I wish everyone a wonderful holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Eamonn.

Next you're going to tell us that the Brits don't celebrate the 4th of July either!

Come on, now. We all know that everyone in the world is really an American (or at least wants to be one).

But, seriously, on the topic of giving thanks, I want to thank you for your always thoughtful posts on this forum.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

The Cub Scout's Thanksgiving

O, Heavenly Father, we ask for Your blessing

For loved ones and friends that are near.

We thank you for food and for love and for life

And the Spirit of Cub Scouting that's here

We thank you for leaders who care about boys,

Who give us their time--that's better than toys!

We thank you for dads who help us learn right,

For moms who sew on our badges at night.

For all this, thank you dear Lord, up above,

For being in Scouting is something we love!

Yours in Scouting,

Brent Allen

Help, help! Someone get the wheelbarrow to wheel me to the couch so I can hibernate. I am stuffed to the gills. Surrounded by family, and all the pets (yes, even the python), and not a single argument - what could be better. I wish all those who can't be with their families, especially those in hospitals and our troops, can be with their loved ones soon.

Gonzo1, I made the GBC this year. I just love the stuff and the best part is, I'm the only one who does in this family - its all mine. But that sweet potato casserole, mmmmmmmmm, it was mighty fine this year. Time for a snooze....

Happy Thanksgiving!