Is there an official standing on who can teach scouts CPR for rank advancement?

Do you need to bring in a CPR Instructor?

Most of our adult leadership is CPR certified and our troop has a Resisi Annie.

Although I know being CPR certified doesn't make you an expert, do you think its enough?

Although I know being CPR certified doesn't make you an expert, do you think its enough?

IMO we are not trying to qualify our scouts to administer CPR to the general public on a continual basis. We are trying to provide them with the knowledge and skill to preserve life in an emergency situation. As long as we are teaching proper technique and procedure yes I think that is enough. BSA does not require any formal certification for those teaching any of the skills needed for advancement. Even certifying merit badge counselors is left to the local councils and their respective advancement committees. For Scout thru First Class "qualified" is determined by the Scoutmaster. In the case of teaching CPR I think we need to remember that we administer CPR to dead people. Any assistance we as leaders can provide to enable one of our scouts to return that person to the status of live person is a good thing.

LongHaul

If you have someone who is an instructor who can teach CPR, and review the Hemlich Maneuver, great. But they should know they aren't teaching the whole CPR course, which is much more, and usually has a cost involved. The Hemlich Maneuver is actually more useful and successful, and more likely to be used by the scouts anyway.

I think life saving MB requires being CPR certified by Red Cross or Heart Assoc.

Yelruh, Your local council may require being Red Cross or Heart Assc. certified to be a counselor but I would bet that it does not. The requirements book makes no such stipulation nor does the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures publication. BSA Lifeguard requires that the applicant hold current certification in CPR from American Heart Assc. American Red Cross or the National Safety Council but as far as I know that is the only badge/award which requires actual certification.

LongHaul