Parents at committee meetings

The question of who can attend committee meetings has been a recent 'issue' in my sons unit. Parents were directed to the Troop Committee Guidebook where the following is written - "The committee meeting is attended by all committee members and the Scoutmaster. Occasionally you may want to invite guests such as your chartered organization representative and unit commissioner." It doesn't mention parents attending the meetings. Aren't parents supposed to be encouraged to participate in the scout program with their son? Did the BSA, when writing the Troop Committee Guidebook, mean to imply that units should exclude parents from meetings?

My own thought is that parents SHOULD be welcome at committee meetings, and a reasonable amount of input should be welcome and useful, BUT that does not mean that they have a voice in the committee's decision-making process.

Recently our troop's committee chair added a Scout's parent to our troop committee (I couldn't attend that night so I don't know if there was a discussion or vote), but the parent doesn't have a specific role. To me that seems odd. If she is on the committee it seems she should have some responsibility for supporting the troop (treaturer, activities, communications, candlestick maker, ... whatever).

Ken K.

Seeing as how there are no secret organizations in boy scouts, I cant see how you would exclude a parent from a Troop Committee meeting. Of course, if the parent shows up moer than once, I would have an adult application handy and ask what role they feel comfortable in doing, but still would not bar them from attendance.

As you may get the idea, the troop I serve is active, has a lot of adult involvment and we have very few rules other than the scouting values and it seems to work for us. Getting bogged down in who can and cannot attend meetings would appear to get in the way of the program, then again I can only speak from my experience

Yah, KP. This is just goin to vary a huge amount by Chartered Org. It's really up to them how they want to structure their committee, eh?

For some CO's, a unit is an integral part of their mission/youth ministry program. Committee members are all going to be members of the CO with youth service backgrounds, eh? They might not be particularly interested in gallery observers. Some committees deal with things like allocation of campership funds, support for kids with special needs and such, where "random parent" observers would not be appropriate.

In other troops for other CO's, every parent is considered a member of the committee, and all committee meetings are "open." This works fine with a strong CC and parents who are all "on board" in terms of mission, and can help encourage volunteerism. But it also runs the risk of becoming an adult complaint fest and feudin' ground with a weaker CC or parents who have axes to grind. It sometimes confuses people, because the program, and parent volunteers, should be under the direction of the SM; but the committee at some level oversees the program and the SM. The two roles aren't really compatible.

In my experience, too, cub packs tend to have more open committees, while troops are mixed. The more high adventure a troop does, and the stronger the CO relationship, the more committees tend to be smaller and "closed," because the support needed becomes more specific and technical than the average parent can provide. Closed committees tend to be better at maintainin' high standards and sense of mission, but not as good at communication.

But to answer your question, "Yes, parents can be excluded from Committee Meetings, and for some organizations, that's appropriate." As a parent you have no more say over how a troop is run than you do over the soccer league or the school band. That doesn't mean that a unit doesn't want parents to participate in the scout program with their son. Far from it! You should participate, and offer help, and volunteer, and make polite suggestions for improvement, just the way you would for the school band program. It just says that not every parent is on the troop's Board of Directors, in the same way that not every member of a congregation is on the parish council/board of elders.

All that bein' said, I think most unit committees would welcome a polite parent observer provided the topics they were discussin' weren't confidential. I expect most would be quite friendly if you were coming out of interest and not axe grinding. But it's polite to ask first, and to accept "no" as an OK answer; and it would be impolite to participate as anything other than a quiet observer unless invited to do so.(This message has been edited by Beavah)

"It doesn't mention parents attending the meetings. Aren't parents supposed to be encouraged to participate in the scout program with their son?"

First off, what is the purpose for parents to be at that meeting (or all meetings)? I don't believe in (except for certain cases like Beavah mentioned) in closed committee meetings, but I have to question what the reasons for some parents to just come and 'hang out' at the committee meeting, any more then coming and 'hanging out' at the troop meetings. Unless they are members, they have no input or say in what is going on. And I would have to wonder if they are just there to cause problems.

Yes, parents are encouraged to participate in the program, but they aren't participating by hanging out at meetings. As mentioned, too often those that do so have an ulterior motive in doing so. Again, Beavah gave ways that parents can help out if they don't want to be registered committee members or ASMs.

When I first joined our troop, all the parents who were hanging around were invited to attend the committee meeting. Though we sometimes offered opinions, etc. It was made clear though that while we could attend, we would have no vote in anything that came up unless or until we signed the adult application. This is still kind of the way we continue to run things..parents are welcomed to attend.

sue m

In a nutshell, everyone who attends a troop committee meeting has done something for the good of troop and is there to REPORT about what they have accomplished to the rest of the people who have also done something for the good of the troop.

The committee chair prepares the agenda and presides over the meeting. The first people who get to talk are those who have something to report. These are the Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Scoutmaster and all the coordinators as listed in the Troop Committee Guidebook. (The order of the agenda can change from month to month.) Everyone listens and waits their turn to make their report.

In our troop, any adult associated with the troop is invited and welcome to the committee meeting every month. These meeting announcements and invitations are sent to all the adults by email every month. If an adult comes and has done nothing to help the troop, the committee chair (me) asks them what project they would like to help with, and I always have a list for them to choose from. I also hand them a leader application. No one ever comes only to complain. I just ask (usually in a private manner), Hows that project coming along?

The committee members and Scoutmaster are there to report, listen, learn and help make decisions. If someone comes only to talk, it becomes very clear to them they have come to the wrong place and are wasting their time, because there is rarely an opportunity for them to get a word in edgewise. The meetings are packed with reports. Our meetings last ninety minutes and then we are out of there until next month. We are all too busy.

Wanted to see what the general population thought of the question asked before I devulged the fact that I am a commissioner, UC and RoundTable. I am an experienced scouter and was quite sure of the response(s) the question would bring. Like many who wear multiple hats I decided that I did in fact have time left that I could devote somewhere else in the BSA program. I knew most important I wanted to help my sons troop. The troop is new. I helped in getting the troop started and organized. Recently I registered as troop committe member and sat on multiple troop BOR's. Few months after submitting app I heard through the grapevine that my application was not accepted by the committee chair. I was told that the CC decision was/is not understood by the few others involved in the committee. The CC has a history of 'having problems/issues with parents. I find it odd, and actually somewhat humiliating, that I am qualified on council level but not in the troop? How much control do you think should a CC have and where/when should the line be drawn? I was den leader for 3+ years and had all scouts earn arrow of light & cross into troops. Over the years I have atteneded all nescessary beginning training, and have completed Woodbadge, PowderHorn, PowderHorn Directors Course, BSA National Camp School. I am educated in the scout program and know that the unit can benefit from my involvement. Even as a commissioner I am continuouly learning, especially in unusual circumstances such as this. Any one want to offer input now to a parent who wants to be involved in sons scout program, who also happens to be a trained, registered scouter/commissioner?

Our messages overlapped...

So, you functioned as a troop committee member (served on BORs) and then "heard through the grapevine" that your application wasn't accepted? The other person who could have signed your troop application was the Chartered Organization Rep. Did that person sign?

Time to have a heart-to-heart with the committee chair and the COR.

There is more to this story. Tell us.

When it comes to manipulation, you may have met your match in that committee chair.

(This message has been edited by Aquila calva)

As the Italian Eagle said, "there is always more to the story". While I don't doubt what you have told us and don't doubt your motivations and good intentions, a former boss once explained it to me this way (when he hired an unqualified person to be MY boss)..."It's better to be wanted than to be qualified."

My advice, find (or form) a new troop and move on. As long as the CC has signature authority on the adult apps, you won't win. You DO deserve an explanation, however and I would demand one from the CO.

Two things: first, I have to agree that if the CC doesn't want you on the committee, you should be looking for a new troop unless there's a pretty good explanation.

Second, technically committee members don't have a "vote" any more than non-member parents do--decisions are made by the committee chair. That's what it says in BSA material, anyway, although I believe that many if not most committees do function as though members have a vote.

Hunt = "decisions are made by the committee chair"

Can you tell us where this came from? It may be too sweeping a statement. Certainly "some" decisions are made by the committee chair, such us whether or not to sign a leader application. It is an important responsibility in a troop.

Voting at the commmittee meeting is highly over-rated. We rarely vote on anything except when a large amount of money is being allocated or spent. Making and discussing "motions" takes way too much time. We need to get on with doing what we have volunteered to do for the good of the scouts.

scoutld --- It is also the Latin name.

Second, technically committee members don't have a "vote" any more than non-member parents do--decisions are made by the committee chair. That's what it says in BSA material, anyway, although I believe that many if not most committees do function as though members have a vote.

This would not be accurate, eh?

It is true that an IH or COR can act on personal authority in this way. But a committee chair is just the chair of the committee. First among equals.

Where paperwork calls for a CC's signature, he/she is representing the committee not acting solo. So the CC's signature on a leader application represents that the committee has approved the leader application. The CC may even have voted "no." But he signs to reflect the committee's decision, eh? Same deal on an Eagle application.

Da CC does not have independent dictatorial powers any more than the Chairman of the Board does in a corporation, eh? At least that's not the normal structure, unless a CO determines differently.

As far as KP's question goes, the answer is probably the same, though. There's a reason why UC's aren't supposed to serve in their home units, eh? And yeh don't make any friends by throwin' your weight around. There are a fair number of district or council volunteers I wouldn't want to see at the unit level. CO's and units are right to be skeptical. It's their program, not the council's.

The way to participate in your son's scoutin' is to come on occasional trips, continue to "talk up" scoutin' with your boy, and offer whatever help is asked for. Simple. Be a dad. Give up on the notion of being in control/in charge. Kids of Boy Scout age need to have experience with lots of different adults, and need parents to be quiet supporters. You, your son, and your son's unit will all benefit from this simple, enjoyable level of participation.