Weekly Meetings, success or failure?

Good thread... got me to thinking.

When I was a Webelos Leader, the boys always said I had great den meetings for them--better than the pack meeting.

MarkS puffs out chest.

Since joining the troop I've noticed that the meetings aren't run as well as I feel I could do it (it was hard to let go of the reigns). It's gotten to the point that boys are having problems maintining proper discipline and behavior during the meeting. A sign of boredom. I figured it's part of the learning process but this thread got me thinking that it doesn't have to be.

As Beavah said we have to teach them how to run an effective meeting. In my case what was I doing in Webelos that the boy leaders in the Troop might not be doing? I found a simple answer. Planning.

I spent two or three hours planning what I would do for each den meeting, plus additional time putting together the resources needed for the meeting, and executing the meeting. As needed I delegated to and involved parents in putting together the resources needed for the meeting, and executing the meeting. I never delegating the planning though.

Typically about four or more hours per meeting planning, putting it together, running errands, communicating, etc. That's each week, every week I held a meeting. Sixteen hours per month. Our PLC plans all the weekly troop meetings for a month at their one and a half hour monthly PLC meeting. There's not a lot of time to really flesh out the details of each troop meeting.

We adults need to do a better job of teaching the boys how to plan a meeting. The best way to do this is to have the boys come to the PLC with plans in hand so we can go over them. I'm going to suggest to the SM and SPL that the PLC come to their monthly meeting with detailed plans for their troop meetings that month so instead of planning them, we're reviewing them.

Another thought is for the adults to plan one meeting a year just to give the boys an example of what they can do. Show them the resources we used. Where we got them. How we thought of them, etc. Maybe do this when a boy is elected SPL for the first time.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

I don't think any of my boys would say the reason they are in scouting is for the weekly meetings. Most of them say it's camping and the outdoors. They know that one of the main reasons for meetings is to prepare for our monthly outings. Most boys are just happy to spend time with each other for an hour and a half.

We try to mix things up by bringing in MB Counselors and other adults to talk about their vocations/avocations. We sometimes work on advancement if we know a group of boys that need it. We mix in some activities related to our monthly theme if it makes sense.

The scouts don't expect meetings to run like clockwork and are fully aware of who plans them and runs them - the SPL. If a meeting does falls flat, they don't hesitate to give him feedback. I would think if adults plan and ran the meetings, they would not get as much or any feedback from the boys and would not be able to gage sucess as well. We try to have a debrief at the end of each meeting to see what went right and where we can improve. We also go over the plan for next week's meeting.

Some meetings are run very well and the boys are kept occupied. Others not so well. You have to roll with the punches and keep stressing the basics - it's all part of the learning experience.