Another question about Den Chiefs & Pack Camping

To avoid threadjacking I thought I'd bring my question here.

When Packs camp it is family camping - each Cub Scout needs their own, personal adult. Does the Den Chief need to bring his own personal adult as well? My initial thought is no, since he is a Boy Scout and they go camping regularly.

Our Pack is planning on doing a family camping adventure at our local Scout Camp for JOTA/Spooktacular. I have no intention of going (I don't have a Cub, just a den) but Nephew is willing to go w/ his Den (he's starting his 2nd year as their DC). The other adults who will be going will be happy to have him along. Does he need his own adult?

YiS

Michelle

Kind of a touchy situation. He doesn't need parents to attend (that I'm aware of). But, it puts him in an awkward position, if he's there kind of by himself and all Cubs are there with their families. There are a couple of suggestions - (1) Tell him that he's welcome to invite his parents. (2) Invite another scout to come with him; either the SPL, Troop Guide or maybe another Boy Scout who has a younger brother in Cubs. If he has someone to hang with, it will help him feel more comfortable and eliminate any potential YP concerns.

Why aren't you going with your den & Nephew? Just because you don't have a Cub does not matter. You are still a member of the Pack & the den!

Your Nephew does not need his "own personal adult". He does need his own tent, health form, permission slip & transportation. Is his den leader going? If his den leader is going, he should be the one who will be in charge of your Nephew. It might be a good idea if your Nephew contacted the den leader, and/or the BALOO leader in charge of the campout, to help plan what his role will be.

I am Nephew's den leader for the group he is DCing for. I'm not going on this family camping trip because I'm away that weekend. We aren't going as a den, it is not a Webelos overnighter, it is a Family camping trip that a few of the families have signed up to go on. One of the Pack adults who is going is our Baloo trained ACM. I'm not sure who else is going from the Pack but do know that at least 3 Cub/Guardian pairs are going. Getting him there won't be an issue as any of the adults would be willing to drive him.

Thanks

YiS

Michelle

Quick a answer - no.

Obviously, youth protection guidelines are different for Cubs than for Boy Scouts. Cubs all need to be assigned to an adult guardian (does not need to be their parent) and an adult guardian may have one or more Cubs (except for the den leader). Boy Scouts do not need an assigned guardian but do need to have adult leaders (two deep) present (unless a patrol outing).