Flag retirement ceremonies

We use the word "retire"...though I do admit that I have slipped and said "burned" on occasion...I'm sad to say that our formal Flag Day ceremony was a washout this year due to the 6+" of rain that we got that day. However, the boys camped the weekend before and retired many boxes of flags at that time. It just so happened that I had sent out an email to all the SM's in the council to alert them to the fact that we were collecting flags and when I went to the Council office then that weekend for our WB staff development day, our council TC said to me..."Did I read your email correctly?...that you're collecting flags for retirement??" and I said "...Yes..." and he said "Follow me!!" He took me into the back room where there was a whole corner full of flags that people had just dropped off at the council office and they didn't know what to do with. I went home that day with literally a whole VAN full of flags of all sizes!!

What I recall from researching flag retirements is that there is no one correct way to do it. While burning may be the preferred method, burial is also acceptable. (Aside: How many just get tossed in the trash with all the other detritus of daily life?)

Another misconception is that only the military or the Boy Scouts can retire a flag properly. That is untrue. ANYONE can do it, even in their own backyard or fireplace, or wherever. The key is dignity. We prefer to retire flags in a private troop setting rather than making it a public spectacle.

I recall reading somewhere that if a large quantity of flags are to be retired, that only one (or a few) should be retired publicly; the remainder are to be retired more privately so that it does not become a spectacle. I recall seeing this this at a Scout Show several years ago, where a large pyre had been prepared at a distance by the OA, whose members stayed up all night retiring the large quantity individually. For the public, the representative retirements were both meaningful and adequate.

There is nothing magical about the grommets. I think the only real reason to retrieve them is to Leave No Trace.

My troop prefers to retire flags "whole". We don't believe in rending the union.

Even though most retirments seem to concentrate on the sacrfices made by our dead and wounded, it is important to realize that the flag stands for all of us. There are a great many people who are not in uniform who work equally hard and in many cases under extremetly trying conditions to defend and uphold our Constitution through other means. I would think that the flag is big enough to represent all citizens of our great country.

I always preface retirements by drawing a contrast between the flag burnings that make the TV news, where our flag is burned in anger and protest, versus the burning that we do in a retirement. The paradox is not lost on the scouts. They understand that what we are burning is not our country, but merely a symbol of our country - of what we stand for. In fact, they see that even as an old worn-out flag is consumed by the flames, that it burns even brighter, and that the ideals we stand for will not be put out. May we each capture that flame in our hearts.

Our school wants to host a flag retirement for Veteran's Day, and wants our troop to do it. They want to take the entire student body out to the football field & have a big ceremony. What is your take on this? I'll tell you mine later.

First off, MaScout, what grade level is your school? Middle School? High School? How many students are there? I think the dynamics would be quite different with different age groups and whether you have 400 or 1200 students

My biggest concern with a large gathering like that - especially with kids who can be so hard-pressed to restrain themselves anytime there's a spectacle - would be making certain that the occasion is extremely dignified.

Pageantry can be useful, but it can be overblown to the point that the symbolism of the retirement is lost and it risks becoming a celebration (read carnival).

For Middle Schoolers, I would suggest that the message needs to center on what our country stands for and why it is great. Tie it in with what they are learning in the curriculum, and explain that the flag retirment is a very special and solemn act. Include some quiet time. I would not go after the band playing a bunch of patriotic songs. Perhaps just the Star-Spangled Banner at the outset, maybe taps at the end. Keep it simple, and it will probably make a bigger impression on them. Maybe have a veteran or two participate with the Scouts.

For High School students, you can address freedom and responsibility on an adult level. Discuss sacrifices. Perhaps ask people in the audience who have family members on active duty or in a reserve unit to stand (quietly). Invite a veteran to speak. Perhaps have the class valedictorian write and deliver a suitable speech. If the scouts lead the observance, let it be "owned" by the entire student body.

All of this is easier said than done. Others will surely have more ideas - probably better ones, too. I wish you well. It's a service that should be done more often, in my opinion.

oldsm -- very valid question & I'm sorry I forgot to include the answer. I actually thought about it before I posted, I just forgot to include the info. The school is K-12, about 400 students total.

MaScout,

Thanks for the update. It appears that you are in a smallish town where shared values are probably more evident than in some of our larger communities.

My previous comments still stand. As for the younger set, some advance in-class preparation from their teachers would help. I would try to help them see that the retirement ceremony is something very special that they will understand more as they grow older. Maybe the approach would be for them to observe closely what goes on during the ceremony and then ask the teachers to follow up in class with them. 5th-6th graders could write a report, maybe as homework, younger grades could discuss, draw pictures, etc. I think it's important for the students to see this more in the light of a Memorial Day observance than a 4th of July celebration.

In a school this size, I think you have a real opportunity being handed to you. I hope the school will back efforts to tie it in with curriculum. Good luck.

That (small town--opportunities) reminded me -- I get to select 3 Scouts who are excused from classes all day to visit the K-3 students -- teach them about the flags, have them all learn to fold, etc. That is cool. They will be liason to introduce veterans during a program, and all Scouts are utilized to usher veterans to tables for a lunch the school puts on. (Then sit with them & eat with them.)

My main concern is all the pageantry that would go along with it...I've always been taught it was to be done with dignity -- which can be done in this setting -- but without much "advertisement"...but I'm open to being eddycated. :)

OK, a few suggestions.

1. Be sure that everyone speaking is aware of the tenor of the event. You don't want any one speaker to start doing a rah-rah incantation or exhortation. Slow, calm, distinct speech wins the day.

2. Squelch any inappropriate behavior from students or staff immediately, before it spreads like wildfire.

3. Rehearse the color guard ahead of time. Make sure they know how they're going to place the flag(s) on the fire. Is anyone ready with a stick to "help" when part of a flag doesn't burn?

4. When it is time to present the flag(s) for retirment, have everyone stand at attention, hands at sides and silent. When a flag is placed on the fire, eveyone either gives the scout or military salute (depending upon uniform), or places their right hand over their heart. Hats off. The only speaking during this time should be from the one individual who "calls commands". If multiple flags are being retired, it would be nice for those present to drop the salute between flags (it gives the arm a rest), then salute for each subsequent one.

Just some thoughts. You will undoubtedly come up with a whole series of protocols that will suit your particular circumstance.

Assuming you have multiple flags to retire, you may want to consider multiple flag retirements. Divide the groups up by grade (or grades). With fewer in attendance at each ceremony, the odds of keeping it dignified are better. Also, you can tailor each ceremony to be appropriate for the particular age/grade group.