Charted Org Involvement / Issues

I have taken up the suggestion of trying to locate some members of the pack that belong to the CO. So far no luck on that front. We have 64 boys, from 60 families, of which 43 belong to the "other" church we would like to consider as a CO, 12 to other organizations, and still waiting to hear from the 5 others. I just checked the CO's website and all their other youth groups, activities, and links are listed but ours, and yes they have been provided with the information.

Vince.

If none of your 60 families belong to your CO, is it any wonder they have a hard time seeing your Pack as THEIR youth group. They don't know you & you don't know them. There are NO real ties. As the pastor told you, the Pack is "just kinda there".

If you plan on staying with them then you should do some heavy recruiting of their youth. You & your CC should make a point to get to know, PERSONALY, the head of the church, the other church leaders &, most important, the church Secretary. Stop by to say hi & chat, attend church services every once in a while, do large, visible service projects for the church, get involved with them, make yourselves know & liked.

ScoutNut makes a very good point, which translates to ALL Scouting units and their chartered partners:

The CC and the ___ Master (insert program as needed) need to meet with the head of the organization, with its facilities chairman, and with its secretary regularly. They're not bypassing the COR, they are developing long term relationships with their folks who license Scouting for them.

There is a huge side benefit as well: These folks are good people to know not only in a Scouting context, but in what they do in their communities.

Scoutnut and John,

I fully agree, but these are the things that I'm hitting a wall with. The secretary is not the most pleasant, and we are trying. We have asked to do service projects, spring cleanups, raking leaves, planting flowers, helping out with church functions. We're told no. I'm trying to find names of who I can speak to, I can't even get that from the CO. This is exactly why I'm thinking of a new CO.

VinceC,

I had to go back and make sure which chartered org thread I was replying to ;) There are a couple of these active at the moment.

Look, while it isn't the best course of action, it's possible to bypass the secretary of the church. Worship there some Sunday. Get the name of the Pastor and the church President. Call them directly. Explain who you are and what you want to do. Visit with them, and get going on building relationships!!!

Remember: You cannot just jump COs. The Chartered Partner is the legal licensee of the Boy Scouting program, and owns the unit. To do it right, they have to release the charter to another community organization. Your DE, UC, and District membership and/or relationships chair can give you more details there.

YIS

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this but isn't the Institutional Head's name on the charter agreement? If you need to know who the church president is and the church folks simply won't tell you (which does raise red flags, I agree) then couldn't you inquire of your DE? Wouldn't s/he be able to tell you exactly whom to contact and also probably provide a phone # to go along with the name?

Lisa'bob