I understand that Varsity Scouting is a well-established older scout program, that functions as almost a parallel program to traditional scouting troops, in that rank advancement after 1st class can occur in a varsity team. My question is - what exactly is the Varsity program supposed to be? There's very few teams in my area, so I'm not at all familiar with the program - is it more popular elsewhere? What's the structure of a team (youth/adult leaders, patrols, etc)? What are the program focuses.

Also, I understand that the LDS Church makes extensive use of Varsity Scouting in their "customized" version of Scouting - my question, though, relates to the program in traditional scouting.

No teams in my area, either. How many teams are out there? Are there some national statistics? It seems like a fairly non-utilized part of Scouting. When there are teams, how do they work in practice? Is it basically an LDS church league?

Oak Tree

Maybe it is just for the LDS church... Based on that fact sheet, I don't understand why they don't just charter as Venturing Crews -- the only difference seems to be that the crews are Co-ed, and go up to age 21.

From what I understand, Varsity Teams started as an in Troop program for older boys. This was changed to a Venture Patrol & Varsity became a separate program. Then Venturing Crews were created & that took the boys away from Varsity.

Now, Varsity Teams are chartered almost exclusively by the LDS community. Varsity is used as their program level before Venturing.

Our small district has two Varsity Teams, both of which were built out of two troops. Neither unit is LDS. I believe the youth are dual registered with their troops and teams. (I know that they are in one unit for certain.)

Also, in another district within our council there is a non-LDS unit that is a Varsity Team. There are probably others within our council that I am not aware of.

These units seem to offer their youth a chance to do activies away from the younger youth, as well as offer them a different opportunity to earn different types of awards.

All four of our district's LDS units have Varsity Teams. I am not aware of any of them earning Varsity awards, though.

Just sharing.