With tonight being my unit's first meeting of the new year I was typing letters to all those scouts not yet First Class and their parents about the new requirement. Then I began thinking, BSA should is money hungry!

That's right, I said money hungry. With the addition of this new requirement scouts need to have old books replaced and it provides a reason to buy the updated 2006 Requirement book instead of holding onto an older one. Not only have they done it with this addition but the have done it by overhauling the Merit Badge requirements (biggest part have new requirements).

I'm not upset that they are updating requirements in attempts to keep us up to speed, but this cost money. Eith a MB Book at $3.50 per book and the Scout Book costing between $5-$10 it upsets me. BSA should have either staggered this out over a longer period of time (5-10 years) or provided money to each unit so that they can become "compliant"

I'm curious. Is the only change in the handbook the recruiting requirement for First Class? If so, I would just make up a label to insert current books so that the Scouts have the requirement and the appropriate leaders could sign off on it when it's met.

As for the MB books, does your troop have a MB library? Ours does, and it's been a help families to know they don't have to purchase them. At some point someone does (troop or Scouts), but just a thought for saving money per family.

I do agree though that Scouting is expensive and understand your concern.

Just write the requirement in the book, not have the scout purchase a new book. As of last year I was dong this with the swimming requirments, that changed many years ago.

My son has done many merit badges with an old book and the new requirements printed off of the www. I do not see how this should cost a scout anymore money.

(This message has been edited by dan)