Well, I'm not a new Scouter, but am new to this forum. I am an Eagle Scout and an Ordeal member of the OA, but I haven't been involved in Scouting since I was 18 (I'm 22 now).

I've been really considering becoming an ASM with one of the local troops, it's just that I know it will be a lot of hard work, since all of them are fairly small. I will look forward to the accumulated wisdom of the many years worth of Scouting on this forum.

Anyway, what process does one have to follow to become an adult leader?

Signing up will be the easy part. Finding your place is the hard part. Best thing you cauld do for your self and the troop is to pick one thing you'd be willing to be incharge of overseeing. Could be anything, ording the new troop Tshirts, making the calls for the next trip (reservations, tour permits), the troop website... what ever, one item you are willing to take off the scoutmasters plate. Tis is the fastest way to fit in. if you just start going to meetings and camp outs you will find yourself standing around with your hands in your pockets and mostly in hte way or invisable.