Committee Chairperson

I need some help on just what does a committee chair does. I have been friends with our chair. She works, I stay at home so when she needed something done, I would take care of it. She ran the committee meeting and I put out an email to the parents on what went on during the meeting. I go to Roundtable and then tell her what was discussed and she told the committee. I also register the boys for district events. I did not do Board of Reviews, she did. Does a Committee chair have to do BORs? Anyway, she is looking for someone to take over and I thought I would be a logical replacement. Am I already doing most of the job or am I missing something?

Pack or troop? Since you mention BOR, I assume troop.

Position descriptions are found in the Leader handbooks and can also be found online. As the title implies, the Committee Chair chairs the committee meetings and recruits other members of the committee to whom various responsibilities are delegated. BOR are conducted by members of the troop committee. The chair can participate, but not required. Typically these will be coordinated by the troop advancement chairman, a member of the Troop committee. The troop committee chair also works hand in hand with the Scoutmaster, who's primary job is to train and mentor the youth leaders.

You sound like a natural! Go for it!

All in favor of packwife as Committee Chair, say, "aye."

"AYE!"

Seriously, it sounds like you are the natural person for this job. May I encourage you to contact your concil or district regarding training. There is a Leader Specific Training for the Troop Committee, which includes New Leader's Essentials and the Troop Committee Challenge. It would be a great thing for you, individually or your committee as a group even better, to go through. it will answer most if not all of the questions about role in the committee and troop.

Motion carries, congratulations packwife.

(This message has been edited by BSAChaplain)

The job of the CC is to hold it all togeather. None of the things you listed is required of the CC. As a matter of fact, the first thing you will have to learn is to let go and ask others to do many of the task you are now doing.

If you try to do it all yourself you have no one to fall back on when you can't. Sure way to burn your self out. It should be more of a management position than Cheif cook and bottle washer. Are you interested in that type of role? if so, step up to CC but share the load.

To explain what Wingnut & FScouter are talking about -

"I put out an email to the parents on what went on during the meeting."

S/B Committee Secretary

"I go to Roundtable and then tell her what was discussed and she told the committee."

Training Committee Member, or Secretary. Actually I am not sure why she was the one to tell the Committee what went on at Roundtable when she did not attend. Why didn't you just tell them yourself?

"I also register the boys for district events."

S/B Events/Activites Committee Member.

"I did not do Board of Reviews"

Why not? Being on a BOR is NOT strictly a CC job. As long as you are a registered Committee Member, not an ASM/SM, & not related to the boy undergoing the BOR, you are eligible to be on a BOR.

The one thing a CC does that you have not been involved in is Re-Charter.

If you are interested in the job, then go for it! Make sure to get trained ASAP.

Something to consider would be the number of active parents who are members of the committee and how comfortable they are with their duties.

How large is the troop? How many committee members are there? Some committees are large and there are many individuals doing the work. Some committees are small with the few members sharing many "hats" and duties.

Do you know your Unit Commissioner? Among other considerations, you might want to get some feed back from your UC.

I think that you are super to seriously consider the job.

S-M

Hi All,

Thanks for everyones support and good will. I have another question for you. Can there be 2 committee chairpersons? We have so many new parents who want to be involved. Being a military community with so many adults coming and going that a co-chair seems the best way to go.

Thanks

You can have only ONE (1) registered Committee Chair. You can, however, have any number of registered Committee MEMBERS. Register as many as you can & then find things for them to do. Somehow I doubt it will be too difficult!