Most Embarassing Scouting Moment...

We are all human (I hope) and have all made some embarassing blunders during our service in scouting (I suspect). Time to share yours now...if you dare!

I'll go first...

In my second year as Cubmaster many moons ago, we moved our Blue & Gold to a very nice facility. I was miked up with wireless technology and everything was going so well. During a brief break in the festivities, I snuck away to relieve myself of excess liquid refreshments. As you can probably guess, I forgot to turn the mike off and the 400 or so people in attendance were serenaded with the sound of the soft tinkle followed by the rush of a flushing urinal. Of course, this was all accompanied by my humming of a fond scouting tune. Upon returning to the room and the stage, it dawned on me that the mike was still on and all I could hope was that its pickup was deficient. As the evening progressed, I began to feel I was in the clear. Near the end, I was brought up to the front for some kind of recognition by the CC. On cue, the audience began humming my song ending with a loud 'whooosh'. What a night it was.

Well, this doesn't qualify as a blunder and I don't easily get embarassed but none-the-less....

Twas the Pack Meeting before Christmas and the Cubmaster had planned a little reading of The Night Before Christmas. In addition to the reading, there were actors, played by scouts and me, the ACM, acting out parts in the story. There was no rehearsal so the actions had to be on queue with the story and off the cuff. The CM had a few props and costumes for each of us. The boys played parts such as Ma, Pa, & the kids. We brought in someone to play Santa, and I played the part of....the Sugar Plum Fairy. Complete with pink leotard and tutu. The CM's girlfriend managed to make one big enough to fit me.

And naturally, I didn't know anything about my part until I arrived for the Pack Meeting. But I was happy to do it. For the enjoyment of the boys....

There are pictures somewhere....

• 2 weeks later...

oh I love this topic....it was my most embarrassing in scouting, and my life. but it definately showed me who my friends were. Although this was not as a leader, it helps me with my therapy to tell it again.

I was 14 and attending the BSA High Adventure camp at the US Army Ranger Camp at Camp Frank Merrill in Dahlonega GA. We ate the Ranger provided C-rations the whole week. Mid-way we did a 25+ mile hike on the Appalachain Trail which included a walk from the Camp to Springer Mountain.

About 10 miles from Springer, mother nature SCREAMED AT ME (hint, wash the p-38 can opener after use). I ran off the trail telling my buddy (been together since wolf scouts) to watch my pack. I ran off the downhill side of the trail to the sounds of my buddy giggling, grabbed a tree and pointed the important end downhill and answered Mother nature with a scream of my own. It was then that I realized that in my haste I had disregarded caution when choosing my trees to hold onto. As I fell backward and downhill with my shorts around my ankles I put my hand back to catch my fall. I slid from my fingertips to my armpit to my waist!

Now, everyone knows that c-rations and MRE's have so little AP paper that you have to use both sides, and I had to yell to my buddy to come help. He just hid behind a tree and threw his paper at me (giggle now full heehaw). I did best I could, with the 1.5 quarts of water between us.

When we got to Springer MT, my buddy set up the tent and I went to get water (for obvious reasons). It was then that I found a line at the spring, two quarts per hour!

Nevertheless, my bud didn't let the cat out of the bag, and even let me sleep in the tent that night. We didn't speak of it in public until after we had both been best men in each other's weddings.

Welilissit.

Not mine, but a fellow DE back in the early seventies was assigned a new district. One of his first jobs was speaking at the district annual dinner. He got up to go the the mens and when he returned, looked down to see, to his horror, he had left his fly opened. He very stealthily zipped it back. Shortly thereafter, he was introduced, stood up and the whole table cloth, zipped into his fly, came up with him. Actually worked to his advantage. Everybody was sympathetic to him for months.

My most embarassing moment so far in Scouting had to be on the last day of Wood Badge. I was wired and couldn't sleep well, so I got up very early..around 5:00 a.m. and very dark. I decided to be nice and to make the coffee so it was ready when the guys woke up. I got everything ready and perked the coffee and had some..it was a bit strong, but hey..it's camp coffee!! As the morning progressed, I was doing odds and ends and one of my patrol mates came walking up to me very seriously and he was holding the coffee perk filter and he said "Uh...Sue...did you make the coffee this morning??" ..."yes...why??" "Did you notice that it was a 'little' strong??"..."Yes..I figured I just had the proportions wrong!" "Uh...where did you get the coffee?" ..."Well..it was in the corner pocket of your dining fly...why?"...and then he slowly showed me the contents of the filter cup...in the bottom of it was this thick, black GLUE and he just said "Uh...Sue...You perked INSTANT coffee!! I always wondered what would happen if someone perked instant coffee and no I can honestly say that I know what perked instant coffee looks and tastes like.!!" Then he cracked up and teased me mercilessly the rest of the day!

Hey! This is exactly what I am looking for!

I need people to e-mail me with embarrassing, funny and outrageous true stories for a new show.

Do you have a blunder to end all blunders?!!

TLC is looking for funny embarrassing stories of blunders at home, work or public for a new TV show Ultimate Blunders

NO STORY IS TOO OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Please e-mail me at:

ultimateblunders@tigeraspect.co.uk

and I will get back to you.

Many years ago I was teaching a Knife & Axe Safety session at the Webelos Day portion of our District Camporee. Needless to say, I took a slice out of my finger. Between sessions I went to see the First Aid officer, who was a dear old Scouter, but who over reacted to every situation. Instead of the band-aid I asked for, he bandaged my hand like there was an amputation! With three more sessions to teach, it was definitely a "do as I say, not as I do" moment!

Dale