Help with a nature trail

Good day,

The Scouts of our Troop have completed a nature trail for a non-profit organization in our area. One of our Scouts completed his Eagle service project by constructing the bridges for a couple of ravines along the trail. Our previous Scoutmaster had promised the members of this organization that the Troop would prepare an interpretive brochure for guests to take out on the trail. We had constructed sign posts that were to correspond with numbered descriptions in the brochure. This old Scoutmaster is gone now and is not available to come back to help.

I am not well versed in the different types of vegetation. Sure I know an Oak from a Maple, but with regard to the different sub-types I haven't a clue. Also, I don't know where to start to put together an "interpretive brochure".

Do any of you know where I can find a good resource to help us put together this brochure?

Thanks,

ASM59

Going by your profile, I did a quick search of some of my favorite online sources but chose the Illinois offices where available. I would encourage you to see if you can have someone with experience help out; field guides are excellent but personal help from an expert is far more helpful.

http://dnr.state.il.us/ (Be sure to check the links, particularly to conservation & forestry.)

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/ (Choose bird, tree, mammal, etc and enter your zip code to get a field guide specific to your area.)

http://www.il.nrcs.usda.gov/ (The Illinois Native Plant Guide looks particularly helpful.)

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes please. My favorite trail maps are those that identify wildlife, so I think this is a great project and wish you well with it.

My own 2 cents- as a nature trail enthusiast...

1. Pointing out that this is a sugar maple and this is a pin oak is OK, but I enjoy 'the rest of the story'- many of these things have rather cool reasons behind the names, or played a role in history, or have some fascinating story to tell- even if it just mnemonic devices to help re-identify the thing later.

2. Besides the names of plants, a bit of history is always fun. Locally, there is a nature center with an old DOCUMENTED hermits home in it- the stories for that site are great! Another trail has an area that was the backdrop for a WWII machine gunning training site.

3. Try to mix things up- things up high, down low, big, small, funny, serious, ancient, new...

4. Imagine the trail, if you will, like a story. An introduction, chapters, segueways, peaks and valleys in the telling, building to a climax, then easing back and allowing a nice smoth re-entry to the 'other' world outside the trail.

It may sound kinda tough, but this is how the best trail guides I know do things. They have mental 'index cards' of stories they tell as they guide, pulling out the right card for the right time.

Take Ironwood as an example...

Mnemonic device in the late fall and winter- the young tree keeps its reddish, RUSTY-looking leaves until spring.

Economic impact- this tough wood dulls axes quickly- when you see a large stand of it, it could mean that the easier to cut trees had been removed at one point. It is also used for durable fenceposts, tool handles, etc.

Other name- Hop Hornbeam, because of the 'hoppish'-looking fruits in the spring.

History story (unverified)- The Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock out of desperation- they needed water. They planned to head further south to warmer places, but dehydration drove them to land ASAP. Remember that all surface water in their homelands was at least partially contaminated by poor waste management, and that most water was treated for safety- often by being mixed with some form of alcohol.

Well, the pilgrims needed water, soon. They did not really trust the clean, flowing water they found, but they DID find Hop Hornbeam and tried to make beer from that. Supposedly, a brewery was the first building built.

By the time they realized that Hop Hornbeam may LOOK like hops but does not make good beer, they a.) found the water to be safe, b.) learned how to make beer from corn, and c.) had waited too long to move so were stuck for the winter.

G'day ASM59,

"The Scouts of out troop have completed....where I can find a good resource..."

question? When did the "Scouts of our troop" metamorph into "I"?

I see a teaching moment (hours more likely) here. What would be wrong with giving each of the "sign posts"to a group of scouts to research and identify the subject species. Local library has several guide books and on line research is also an option...State Ag service, (extention service here in Va) has folks who might even be willing to come out and help on site, might even lead a "class" and they have LOTS of local plant info.

This is a great time for plant Identification; you have leaves still attached to trees (no guessing), fruit/nuts hanging or right under on the ground, easy to 'see' tree "form/shape" and bark to assist in the identification.

Take lots of pictures for your brochure, color of leaves (now and as they turn?) shape of tree...then edit (use what you want and toss the rest)...but let the guys do this...they will learn more by doing...about every thing not just plants (maybe use for nature merit badge also?)

anarchist

There are excellent plant taxonomists at the Illinois Natural History Survey.

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/maps.html

They would be the '500 lb gorillas', perhaps overkill for this job, but they'd be able to tell you complete histories and other facts about all the plants.

Also, your extension service will have free literature and expertise to help. There should be an office in every county, each with multiple agents:

http://www.extension.uiuc.edu/

In my area I use the extension literature to supplement numerous merit badges. It's free and many people don't know the resource is available.

Anarchist posted; "When did the "Scouts of our troop" metamorph into "I"?"

OK, here we go...

Our old Scoutmaster is the one that promised this Interpretive Brochure. He is a Junior High Science teacher and used to run the nature center at our local Council. He really has the ability to put this together with no trouble, but he left the Troop and has no interest in coming back to help with anything. I only found out about it because I am the one with friends on the board of the non-profit organization. The Scouts were committed to building the trail itself. They also intend to maintain the trail. I guess I feel responsible to make sure the brochure gets done, because it was promised. I do plan to involve the boys as suggested. In fact we are putting up new sign posts this November. We just need the brochure to go along with the signs.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming.

ASM59

ASM59,

Since I love murdering cliches...remember: There is no "I" in Troop....or Scouts or patrol...(ya gotta love it).

Our troop adult leaders (Scouters) motto is "IF A SCOUT CAN DO IT, ADULTS DON'T!".

Have your SPL and PLC assign the job to the patrols. Help them, Guide them, but let them "own" this project...as you said "The Scouts of our troop have completed ..." Maybe, putting the brochure together could be used for a communication "project" ...merit badge? With the "power" of some of the publishing software out 'there' I am sure your guys can pull this off!

anarchist