hello from an English cub scout

Hi I am a cub scout in England, but will be going up to scouts in January.

I am almost 10 years old and have been in the scout movement since I was 6 as a beaver scout.

I would like to chat with any other cubs out there to share info on our packs

yours in scouting

Owain

Hi Owain,

Many, many years ago I was a cub (A Wolf) Cub, back in the 24 Fulham (Sands End)

When I old enough I spent sometime as an Assistant Cub Scout Leader in the 35th Fulham (St Thomas of Canterbury).

When I left England, there were no Beaver Scouts.

My Son who is now 17 years old, was a Cub Scout. Packs over here are in Dens. Our youngest Cub Scouts start off as Tigers then go on to be Wolves, Bears and then on to Webelos Scouts. Webelos is a very strange word!! It stands for We be loyal Scouts!

Back when I was Cub in England the top rank was the Leaping Wolf, this changed and we had Bronze, Silver and Gold Arrows, and just before you moved into the Troop you worked on the Link Badge. Here in the USA the highest rank a Cub Scout can earn is the Arrow of Light.

What is really cool about the Arrow of Light is that you get to wear it on your Boy Scout uniform.

I know that I had a lot of fun when I was in Cubbing in England and when I was Cubmaster over here in the USA.

Still the real fun is in Scouts.

I really do hope that you have a great time with the pack until January and then are ready for Scouts. Do you know what Patrol you will be in ?

Eamonn.

Hi thanks for the reply

No I dont know which Patrol I will be in yet, I know it wll be a different one than my sister, haha, we are not allowed to be in the same patrol, as when she was in cubs, she was in Red six, I am the sixer of Blue six.

Our highest badge is the Cheif Scout award, in cubs its the silver, which I am now undertaking, and will be able to wear it on my scout shirt.Then in scouts hope to get my gold award. Another thing I am looking forward to is in January when the enrollment for Gang Show gets underway, I will be a scout in Gang Show next year, it was fun doing Gang Show as a cub, but scouts get more parts and have more fun.

I am ona quest right now to contact as many cub packs in the world as I can by email, this is going very well, our pack is in the process of becoming pack penpals with a pack in Kentucky, and I have become friends through my quest with a pack CM and his son who is a cub in Wisconsin, he has sent me a set of the den badges they have in America, I am very proud to own these.

Yours in Scouting

Owain