I'm not aware of a swimming program in our sons' troop; however, there are many opportunities for scuba throughout the year. Also, any boy who expresses interest or difficulty with swimming will receive help from many strong swimmers in the troop, both youth and adult.

Another troop I'm aquainted with has an annual swim night, and the focus of that night is to provide for the swim test. The other planned time to take the swim test in that troop is at summer camp.

Yet another troop that I'm aquainted with requires every Scout to earn the swimming MB when attending summer camp for the first time. Though I am not in favor of this, and though it is met with objections, once the boys earn this MB they tend to get more involved in other water-related activities.

We have been scheduling two swimming meetings per year. One in fall and one in spring at our local high school. We either have a Swimming MB counselor there or the pool supervisor is a Red Cross Instructor.

Our troop did one swimming pool meeting in place of a Troop meeting in March and another last week, both well received.

Plus swimming at summer camp.

But these boys need more swimming to develope their skills.

I'd like to see a swim night replace a Troop Meeting every other month or so during the coming year.

Another problem is that other than the SM and myself, neither the parents nor the Scouts do much teaching of boys who need help learning skills.

Seattle Pioneer