reid01, welcome to the forums. Are you asking as an adult leader or as a Scout? It would help to have an idea of why you are asking the question. With a little more background, you'll probably get a good conversation going here :)

reid,

Your question is too large and may flounder unless you make it more specific.

or you may be looking for a big answer like, Love One Another.

or the answer to the world's problems is for everyone to lay down their weapons and talk to each other.

or if we spent more time listening than talking at each other, then we might hear the answer.

To my knowledge, nobody has ever promised the existing world freedom from problems.

Respite from problems is about the best we can do and we can do a pretty good job of it.

FB

reid01, WELCOME!

That's a pretty broad question. Since the causes of such are varied and often unknown, I doubt there is a simple clear answer in your future. To even suggest they are preventable, makes assumptions that are probably not true. I'm curious though, to see what others have to say. You might be better narrowing your question or atleast defining a few parameters.

BTW, why did you pick this thread title?

jd

on requirment two of the personal phiness merit badge it speciffically asks what can you do to prevent social, emotional, or mental problems. i can't find the answer in the personaly fitness handbook so i was wondering if anyone know the answer to that question.