Styrofoam-uses and abuses

Styrofoam- the many uses and abuses

An interested reader wrote in and asked for a discussion on this topic. I have to admit not having extensive experience using this product but I believe that many others do. I may be missing something here that could be of benefit in the future. I have used it in packing for shipping and in insulating small cracks around the house. I have yet to use it on a Scouting project. Well anyway, this topic may take off like a bottle rocket, so I am giving it plenty of clearance.

Thanks ahead of time for uncovering an area that has remained for me a total mystery.

FB

Good topic.

When I was a kid styrofoam was too expensive. My lunch box was insulated with used fire bricks we picked up from the lead foundary in town. It would have been too heavy if we ever put food in it, so we would carry the lunch boxes empty. And we were grateful!

Kids today don't know how easy they have it.

During the time I spent in the institution, we only had paper sacks from the grocery store to carry our lunch. Sometimes, something would drip out of the wax paper covered item and would dampen the bottom of the sack and the bottom would fall out. The proper fix was to eat it all wherever it dropped. I also had to ride the big yellow school bus every day for 15 miles even in snow up to the axles. I could go on about how bad it was but I am glad I didn't have to carry a bucket of rocks like Itsme. I feel that I must have been privileged.

FB

Personally I think using that styrofoam popcorn like packing stuff is an abuse of the use of styrofoam. It really bugs me to open up a package with that stuff and have it fly all over the room. They pick up static electricity and are impossible to clean up easily. Just drives me nuts.

Another abuse of styrofoam is to use it as fire building material. When it burns it smells, and usually leave a clump of black yucky stuff in the fire pit.

Now I'm Ok with using styrofoam for coffee cups, as long as when disposed of it's disposed of properly.

SA

I want to tell the whole bunch of you to BUY because I think we got in on the ground floor.

Also I tried some of those little rice cakes that are Styrofoam like in taste and appearance. They would make better coffee cups because after the coffee sat in it long enough, one could eat the cup, leaving no clean-up. A perfect breakfast!

FB

My first pet peeve is trying to glue the styrofoam peanuts back together when I break a few taking something out of a box. Can't get the little guys to stick back together!!!

My second peeve is when something comes in sandwiched in styrofoam and you want to save it for storage (christmas figurines come to mind) but you.....can't......remember....which .....way.... the.....darn....thing....fits.....back....into..the...sandwich packing!!

AARRGGHHHH!!!!!!

CMM