The guide to safe scouting says the following on two deep leadership:

Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant.

Does the one registered leader need to be registered in the unit conducting the outing? For example Parent 1 is not a registered member of BSA, and Parent 2 is a committee member of Troop 1234. Could Parent 1 and Parent 2 be the only adult leaders in a trip with Crew 1234, in which the child of both Parent 1 and Parent 2 are attending?

(not sure if that makes scense)

The answers to your two questions are: "No." and "Yes." in that order.

To explain:

Registered leader means registered member of the Boy Scouts of America. parent of a participant is pretty self-explanatory.

The one caveat -- the actual unit would still need to approve the tour permit, which includes approving the leadership for the outing. If they don't want the person from the other unit to be the registered leader, they can deny signing the tour permit.

I hope this helps.

Unc.

NLD --

Please feel free to disagreee. I think you are on the safe and preferred side of the issue. I think it is best if two registered leaders from the unit attend any trip/outing of the unit.

However, nowhere in the policy does it say registered with the unit, it simply says registered leader. The way I read it, if another interested registered leader (like a Unit Commissioner) were recruited to attend the outing as the primary leader, it would be acceptable as long as they were accompanied by a parent of a participant from the unit or another registered leader.

Just a side thought not directed at NLD -- If the registered adults were required to be from that unit, boys would not be able to attend provisional summer camp troops, or go to a camporee with a different troop, etc. unless one of their unit's leaders were attending.

But that's just my interpretation.

Unc.

I'm glad you checked with your Scout Executive. It is the local council that approves the tour permits and his reading far outweighs anyone elses . . . especially from a place far, far away.

Have a great Scouting summer.

Unc.

I can easily imagine this happening. The crew affiliated with my son's troop has signed up to go to Philmont in the summer of 2006. Right now, there are two adult leaders who have said they will go. As I look at the other adults associated with the unit, I have to honestly say that there are not too many others who would be physically capable of the trip (including me). If those two leaders had to drop out for some reason, I can see us in the same situation. Would it be wrong to find registered leaders from another unit, or to combine units? I don't see why this would be a problem, although of course it wouldn't be ideal.

KS,

That is correct. We are a brand new venturing crew. We only have 1 advisor, 1 CC, 1 Comm Member, and the COR (who is not in anywhere close to the physical condition required to go on an outing). As a new unit we are planning things on short notice. Therefore, we were are limited in the number of registered adults we have avalible to us, and none of the regestered ones were avalible that weekend.