What method do you think is the most misunderstood

This is kind of a spin-off of some other posts that I saw and thought that it would make a good discussion topic:

What method do you think is the most misunderstood?

I think advancement is the most over emphasized.

I think uniform is the most under emphasized.

I think the Patrol method is the most misunderstood of all the methods. I see troops that think the patrol method is just having the scouts work in groups of 6 to 8. They routinely reform patrols for outings to make sure that each patrol has 6 to 8 kids for ease of cooking.

I also think the outdoor method is greatly misunderstood. I see many leaders who think that Boy Scouts exist to take Scouts camping. The see outings/camping as not there to teach the aims of scouting in the outdoors but the camping experience is the ends in itself.

CNYScouter

CNY, I agree that the patrol method appears to be the most misunderstood method. The Patrol method to me is the central thread, or you could say the foundation, that connects all of the other methods. The Patrolis the basis to implement the other methods. The patrol gives the scouts a sense of belonging and pride, and allows for the other methods of scouting to be used/advanced without the scouts feeling isolated or an odd man out (as in wearing a unifrom). I have said this before and probably will again, but I believe using the patrol as the "frame of reference" is an excellent tool to allow a troop to meet the aims and use the methods of scouting.

CNY,I agree advancement is over emphasized.

I also agree that the patrol method is the most misunderstood. Putting 6-8 Scouts together does not always make it a patrol. I see patrols as mini Troops. They have their own meetings and outings. All to often I have seen units where patrols do not have their own meetings. And where patrol outings were discouraged or not allowed.

Although any method would fall under scrutiny from almost any quarter of any of the Regions, Councils, Districts; I would cast my lot on the Ideals of Scouting. I believe that instilling the Ideals of Scouting is an on-going challenge from day one with every Scout. The Ideals are kin to one's attitude toward Scouting. When one's attitude is correct, then one's direction will be correct in most all situations. I believe that people are not born with the Ideals of Scouting and that working in a Patrol, wearing the correct uniform, working on advancement, service to others, etc, are difficult concepts for young people to grasp/accept and it takes real Scouting growth for a person to reach maturity.

It is similar to learning the compass. Most first learn directions and usage. Then, one may exercise their new skill on a three bearing course after learning stride length. One may even take a bee-line hike after learning to off-set and reset directions to obstacles. One may even go to a Camporee and enjoy a competitive event over a longer distance. Then comes the day that a Scout is challenged with several miles in a wilderness area using a map and compass or a Scout is lost and must find their way home without either. It is not the amount of training or knowledge that hurts a person in such a situation but it is a proper attitude or lack of it. I have found that with personal growth in the Ideals of Scouting that I would trust a matured Scout to do the right thing even when they are off by several miles in life. It always comes back to a highly developed Scouting attitude which makes the difference.

FB

I believe that "Personal Growth" is one of the most misunderstood. In some of our units, we have lost the idea that Scouting is supposed to be challenging, and instead have made it too easy.

The discussion over First Class First Year, for example, hints that we might have made First Class, formerly a quite challenging rank, easy enough that it can be a realistic goal in the first year. Many units and summer camps make merit badges into more of a 'class attendance award'.

I have seen and heard of many examples of leaders and adults going above and beyond in helping Scouts to the extent that there is no challenge any longer. Certainly, it is a leader's job to ensure that there is a safety net, but when adults do the food buying, popcorn sales, campsite selction, and so forth, there is not a lot of opportunity left for personal growth.

I think the uniform is one of the more over-emphasised. I am not sure we need to be quite so obsessive on a National level to accomplish our goals. I strongly believe that a simplified shirt/insignia and simple dress code for the waist down would accomplish everything at least as well.