meamemg,

The ASM-New scout patrol is the one responsible for that program not a youth.

It doesn't matter how many troop guides you have,they still are responsible to the ASM-new scout patrol. You can have a Troop guide assigned to each New scout patrol.

Chapter 3 page 16 of the Scoutmaster Handbook has a sample Junior Leader Organizational chart for a large Troop. Ask your SM if you can look at his copy.

The current edition of the Senior Patrol Leaders Handbook is a great resource for SPL's and ASPL's.

ljnrsu,

I guess our difference of opinion comes down to the fact that I believe that in a boy run troop, each aspect of the program should have a boy leader. While there sould be an adult to guide them, it should be a youth, not an adult, running all parts the program.

The problem with the org chart in the SM handbook is that is only provides for one NSP, therefore one troop guide is the youth leader in charge of all one of the new scout patrols. If you have myltiple NSP the org chart doesn't work. IMO, the SPL doesn't have time to coordinate the New Scout program, so this task should be delegated out to another youth (I really don't care if you want to call him a ASPL, Chief Troop Guide, or whatver).

meamemg

The #1 complaint I hear from older Scouts who are in Troops that don't have a Venture Patrol (Not Crew) is that that they dislike having to work with the younger Scouts.

The #1 complaint I hear from Scoutmasters is that the older Scouts are so busy with activities outside of Scouting that there are extended periods when these older Scouts are just not available. During Football season, a couple of Troops have meetings that are very badly attended due to the band members not being there and the football players nor being there. Of course the Scouts in the NSP are not involved in these activities and are at the Troop meeting.

It seems to me that more adults are needed in your Troop.

Eamonn.