I watched the parade today...

For the first time in about 25 years I sat on the side of the road and watched the parade rather than marching. Great show... Lots of Vets, Jr.ROTC, marching bands from all over the state, police (wearing kilts and playing the pipes), explorers, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts right down to tigers, Girl scouts of all ages, church groups, little league, cheerleaders, several ethnic clubs, the garden club and a dance studio all marched to show respect for our fallen heroes.

Funny thing, didn't see a unit from the ACLU. they must have been busy some where else.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Wingnut,

I love this post!!! I remember to this day that on the first scout meeting I ever went to was a program on citizenship and respect for the flag.

I still get misty eyed when they play the National Anthem and even stand at attention in my living room when it is played.

The aclu defending Patriotism, respect for the Flag and National Pride certainly would not generate headlines and certainly not any laywer fees.

I visit the BSALegal site often and wonder how these people sleep at night. I have gone off on this subject sseveral times much to the chagrin of my wife who usually takes the brunt of it.

Anyway glad you enjoyed the parade I enjoyed mine as well. I am former Air Force and Army and boy do I love a parade. Even trying to get some of the older boys to get together to practice being an exibition honor guard for sporting events and Memorial Day, Flag Day and 4th of July events!!

I hope it will be a great way to show off Scouting

and provide service to the Community.

Thanks Again

YIS - Eagle81

I was just talking to my lovely wife the other day that this will be the first time for me to watch our 4th of July parade from the sidelines. My boys are in college and out of troop, but my daughter is now on the High School Pom Team, Squad? Patrol? Anyway she gets to ride a float in the parade. Now why didn't our troop think of that?

Barry

My scout son is now in High School and didn't march with the scouts, He was in the HS Band.

Me, I doned my uniform and set out to march with the troop when Her Who Must Be Obeyed inquired as to where I was going? I told her I was marching in the parade. Well she had figured that since our son would not be marching in the parade as a scout I was off the hook and would be available for honey do's around the yard. I confess I mutinied and marched in the parade. I did make up for it(or paid up for it) the next weekend.

The main point of my post though is this. I had been somewhat concerned the last few weeks, because participation of youth members had seemed to die down a bit. Troop meeting attendance was a little light and our last outing only had 6 scouts. However, I arrived at the parade starting point to find 20 scouts or so, a third of them are in High School,and 8 adults. The parade meant marching down the middle of town in uniform. As we marched, they recieved a number of cat calls from the crowd. Most were well intentioned, "Hey, Joe scout!, way to go!" , none were negative.

Anyway, the parade through town in our uniforms, was the the best attended event we've had as a unit in the last two months. Came away feeling much better.

SA

I am on our town's Independence Day Parade Committee (just can't say no sometimes). A few years back one of the committee members (a local liberal lawyer) made a motion to restrict the number of scouting units that march in the parade (typically scout groups are only outnumbered by the fire trucks). The committee's silence and lack of a second was deafening. Needless to say, he learned that our little burg loves our scouts.

Thanks for the ACLU reminder - think I will call up our local office and invite their participation...we can always use folks to clean up behind the horses.