.22 ammo for summer camp

After 20 years of free government ammo for my council's summer camp the supply has dried up. As a former staff member and current member of the council camping committee I am trying to locate another source of free or cheap ammo. The Civilian Marksmanship Program has better prices than retail specifically for the BSA but it would still run us about $600 for the estimated 32,000 rounds we will need this summer and the budget is already stretched due to adding staff. If anyone else has faced this dilemma I would like to hear suggestions.

Thank you,

Tom Sisson

I had not thought of that, thanks for the idea. I called a couple scouting buddies who are lifetime members of the NRA but they did not know of any local representatives so I went to the national site and filled out a contact form.

Are there any local hunt clubs or gun clubs in your council? We get about 1/2 our bullets this way. In your case, 1/2 won't be painless, but it will be a lot better than coming up with all the money yourself. Good luck!

I am a member of a gun club and currently have inquiries in there but the remarks I've got aren't promising. My club sponsors a Venture Crew but they don't shoot, they do high adventure.

i would definitely check the NRA. i think our rifle mb counsler last year said that that was where most of ours came from. i would also call/email different cartridge companies, and see if they would donate some ammo, or give you a discount.