If the methods are mot required to have a scouting program as Ed has said, then what is required?

What does everyone think? What is required?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

You just answered your own question, Bob! Was that the answer you were looking for? I know it wasn't the one I was looking for.

BTW, the typo in the quote was the original posters typo.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

Follow the Aims and Methods of Scouting.

For me the bottom line is: Baden-Powell designed this game with a purpose a century ago. It's still working today. If it works, AND IT DOES, don't go and fix it.

My two cents.

This is a profoundly silly conversation. Clearly, there is more than one meaning of the word "required."

First, there is what is actually "required" by the rules of BSA. Of course, Bob White is well versed on this, which is probably why Ed is emphasizing that the methods of Scouting aren't "required" in this way.

Second, there is what is needed in order to do a good job of delivering the Scouting program--clearly, the methods are "required" in this sense, as Ed also knows and acknowledges.

Can we drop this, please?

what is required is that a Scout live the Scout Law, and that he takes the promise that he makes in the Scout Oath seriously.

IF he and his leaders do those two things, than the AIMs and the METHODS to achieve those AIMs will be met.

What is required is that the Program that the BSA outlines is follwed and the Spirit of that program be met in its Leadership and Scouts.

Ed- it is my belief that you are like one of those Scouts that always has his stick in the fire...even though the Scoutmaster tells you over and over not to do it. Sooner or later someone gets burned or poked with the hot stick and then the night is ruined. Those of us that like to sit at the Campfire and chat, sing a few songs, tell some stories and enjoy the quiet miss out when there is a stick in the fire. The fire is much more pleasent when the Scoutmaster is not telling scouts to behave.

The point is the PROGRAM of Scouting. It is a good one and time tested... It does not need another stick in the fire.

Jerry

Scoutmaster who wants the sticks out of the fire!

Ed,

Your post is excellent and one well worth considering.

The list of required things is quite long.

Safety issues are first, covering physical and emotional issues and then the promises.

Following the rules of Scouting, especially the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan are the basis of the program.

Page 1 of the 2003 Boy Scout Handbook, Copyrighted in 1998, Eleventh Edition, Fifth Printing:

Scouting promises:

...the great outdoors, camping, learning about nature, being taught, teaching, and helping others

...friendship

...opportunities to work toward Eagle

...knowing and using your resources, good deeds

...increasing in wisdom and strength

...adventure, learning, challenge, responsibility.

The Eight Methods of Scouting are not mentioned but are detailed in the following 449 pages, item by item. One can either use the summary approach or use the manual, your choice.

FB