Any Astronomy Merit Badge Counselors?

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and a relatively new scouter, being my youngest son's Tiger Cub leader this year. We recently started a Boy Scout Troup for my oldest son, who just got his Arrow of Light.

I've volunteered to be an Astronomy Merit Badge Counselor for our district/council. It'd be great to hear from anyone else who is also a counselor for this badge. I've been around astronomy circles, having published educational cartoons for many years. But I'm not sure what's entailed or expected of a merit badge counselor.

Any greetings and/or sage advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks, jay

Hi

Welcome to the forums. I too have an interest in astronomy. I use a manual Meade ETX scope, great for campouts. Read the merit badge requirments (see www.meritbadge.com) or the book. Require no more or no less. You can teach as deep as you want to go. Have fun. On cloudy nights get out the computer star software :)

Welcome to the forum, Jay! We look forward to your contributions.

I've also had a long interest in Astronomy, going way back to when I was a member of the Orion Patrol. Our buddies were in the Hercules and Draco patrols.

I echo what Trail Day says: you can teach to the age level of the candidate(s) but require no more or less than the letter of the requirements.

This also goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway): make sure you follow YP guidelines. Never be alone with a scout - scouts should come to you in pairs at the very least.

One of the rules that I use in teaching a MB is to keep it fun by using games that meet the requirements. As I see it, Scouts spend nearly 8 hours a day cooped up in a school environment. The last thing they want to do is sit in another classroom listening to lectures to earn a MB.