some good stuff here...hope it is read!

Webelos open house night- we don't do it! we would rather the Webelos II cubs visit 'on their own' (after a call to the SM of course). We usually seat the Webs with a New Scout Patrol from the previous year and just go about our business. Nor do we want to give an impression that the troop just sits around and has "fun" stuff going on at all times....we would rather the new boys see us with all our warts...and know what our average Boy Scouting night looks like...

We do have a Webelos 'day' however at a very 'close-in' campout in November each year and invite several Webelos II dens from several Packs to visit us. (They are encouraged to camp in adjacient campsites if they would like...but separate from our unit.) At this Webelos visitation each of our patrols has chosen a skill to teach, designed a 30-40 minute lesson plan (for SPL approval) and we 'cycle' 5 or 6 webelos (at a time) through these skill classes, feed them a hotdog lunch and plays several scout games. The packs that campout are invited to play a round of night-time capture the flag which our boys seam to love more than any other game.

Better than an open house? The Webelos and parents get to see a typical 'full troop' camp, our equipment investment and by way of example our uniform requirements and our adults get to answer questions from parents while plying them with camp coffee and hot cocoa.

We also visit several different Pack's meetings during the year with a patrol that sets up equipment for a small 'exhibit' camp and anwsers questions throughout the that meeting from all cubs and parents.

BUT IN THE END, if your boy is not happy in scouting the best program from the parents view may not be what best for the boy...tread softly...talk it out and remember in most cases these boys are bunches smarter than we adults like to give them credit! They can change troops if they make a bad choice...so be careful about bad mouthing different programs (burning bridges before they are crossed)

Webelos night for a Troop is great idea for the Troop, but not much good for the Webelos, although the Webelos usually have a good time.

Webelos night certainly helps focus the troop on its need to do recruiting. Thats good because many troops simply dont recognize the need to do recruiting throughout the year. They sit and wait for the Webelos leaders to call and schedule a troop visit. On the other hand, it tells me very little about a troop when they do a Webelos night. A lot of time and energy goes into it. It becomes a SPECIAL event for the troop. But it is not representative of a typical outing or meeting and consequently you dont get see the troop at its norm.

Dan, This page from the BSA site talks about troop responsibilites.

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-086/troop.html

They state:

2e) Arrange for Webelos dens to visit a troop meeting. This should be planned several weeks in advance.

In our District Roundtable, they gave out sample outlines of a troop meeting for a Webelos open house. It follows a plan similar to what I described.

Again, I don't discourage Webelos from coming any time they want (I do prefer a call, just so I'm expecting them). I expect we'll have some visits over the next month, as we get closer to crossover.