Are There Any National Scout Days?

If you mean a day proclaimed by the national government as scout day - the answer is not in the United States. Although, other countries do have such days (e.g., Thailand). Closest thing would be the annual 'anniversary' week in February including Scout Sunday recognized by many churches that sponsor units, but that is a 'scouting' thing. I, for one, think it is time for a National Scouting Holiday - a day off work/school for all those who are or have been scouts or scouters (guys and gals). Can you imagine millions of people (young and old) fanning out in their communities to do good turns! How could anyone argue with that?

Both Lord and Lady Powell shared the same birthday, February 22. He was 32 years older than her.

In some countries Girl Scouts and Girl Guides celebrate the day with "Thinking Day."

In England we use Saint George's Day , April 23. St George is the patron saint of Boy Scouts and England. Queen Scouts are chosen to attend the National Scout Service and Saint Georges Day Parade at Windsor Castle. King Edward the VII, started this in 1934. This service is held on the Sunday nearest April 23.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but... Each Queens Scout also receives a Royal Certificate that bears this message from her Majesty:

"As a Queens Scout you have prepared yourself for service to God and other people and have shown yourself a worthy Member of the world wide Scout Movement. I wish you God-speed on your journey through life;may it prove for you a joyous adventure'.

Elizabeth R"

There has also over the years been a lot of Boy Scout postage stamps. More than 200 countries have issued thousands of stamps depicting Scouting activities.During the siege of Mafeking

stamp supply was short, and in April, 1900 emergency stamps were produced, intended for local postage within the sieged town. One of the stamps shows a portrait of Baden-Powell. Even though this was 7 years before scouting started, the Mafeking stamps are considered the first scouting stamps.

Many countries celebrate Scouting on or around Baden Powell's birthday, some use St Georges Day and some celebrate the date when Scouting started in their country or when Scouting re-started . I have never heard of a Eagle Scout Day, Eagle Scout is the highest rank that a American Boy Scout can attain. There are several other countries that have Eagle as the top rank, some have "President's Scout,many have Scout Knight.

There are big plans for "Scouting's Sunrise" to be held on August 1st, 2007.

Scoutings Sunrise provides an opportunity for Scouts everywhere to jointly celebrate the Centenary of Scouting, raise the profile of Scouting, and through practical activities help to make the world a better place.

National Scout Organizations are encouraged to start planning their Scoutings Sunrise celebrations using one or more of the following ideas:

a Sunrise Ceremony where Scouts and former Scouts renew their Promise perhaps on their nearest high ground, or at a symbolic location for each particular group

a group Good Turn, where Scouts undertake practical activities to directly help their community on 1st August 2007

a Centenary of Scouting Celebration, involving Scouts and former Scouts, their families, friends and supporters

The timing of the Scoutings Sunrise activities will be as follows:

at 08:00am local time in each country, Scouts will gather to renew their Promise and create a cascade of Sunrise Ceremonies around the world. They can then follow this with the Good Turn and celebrations.

Scouts can join in with the Scoutings Sunrise taking place at 08:00am on Brownsea Island and at the 21st World Scout Jamboree, via television or the Internet. This would be in addition to their local Sunrise Ceremony.

The dawn of the Second Century of Scouting could also be celebrated at other suitable times on 1st August 2007 and on neighboring weekends for maximum publicity.

August 1st was the date that BP,took a bunch of Lads to Brownsea Island in 1907. These events are being coordinated by the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM).

The BSA will be 100 years old in 2010. The National Jamboree has been moved from 2009 to 2010 and I feel sure that there will be lots of celebrations.

Eamonn.

Semper,

I really like your idea but I would not want the US government to pay for a Scouting holiday. It is expensive and many in the Nation are not attached to Scouts and would fight it. I would want to avoid any of those types of repercussions for such an idea.

I would much rather the volunteers throughout the nation contribute one vacation day to a Scout Good Turn day. This would then take on a grass-roots effect that demonstrates our commitment to an ideal that goes beyond government intervention. It would be giving without expecting anything in return, giving because it is right, and sharing with others because it is a concept that has no borders or laws. It would be like Christmas but for those in need.

Merry Christmas,

FB